reporting bugs to Apple

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bad Paper, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

How do I report bugs to Apple that aren't handled by their automatic bug generator?

In the last week, I have found two, both related to multiple users being logged on to the machine. This is on the Macbook as listed in my .sig:

1) User #1 tries to shut down / reboot the machine, and the dialog pops up saying, hey, there's another user on here. Choose Switch User, get on there as User #2. Close all apps, then choose Log Out. The machine kinda logs out of that user, but then just hangs indefinitely, never getting back to User #1, never completing the shutdown process or anything. Cold boot required.

2) User #1 gets a video iChat request, but iChat says that another app is using the camera. WtF? There are no other apps using the camera. aha! User #2 left Photo Booth open.

I'm not so sure bug number 1 is reproducible. It was enough of a pain that I don't want to bother. I feel that bug number 2 is a stupid bug, though, and should be fixable. How can I report this to Apple?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Bad Paper thread starter macrumors 6502

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

actually no, ignore the developer one. it's not quite appropriate for what you want to do.

i'm curious as to why you think #2 is stupid? it told you that the camera was in use, and it was. the iSight can't share between two apps that want to use the camera.

#1 just sounds like something that might be appropriate to submit a bug report for if you can reproduce it.

5. Bad Paper thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, thanks
    two reasons:
    1) There is no reason that two apps can't share the same hardware input stream.
    2) Photo Booth was open on another user's account on this machine. Thus, it is possible to disallow all users from using the camera if only one user leaves it open in his account. One user crippling others' accounts falls under the category of "security breaches."