Reporting mods

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by boss.king, Sep 6, 2011.

1. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

What's the protocol when reporting mods for harassing people? What's to stop them from simply banning you later for reporting them? Can you even report them for that matter?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Use the Contact Us link at the bottom of every page.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have issues, or complaints regarding moderation. You need to use the contact us link at the bottom of the page. An administrator will then review what you have written and take appropriate action.

4. boss.king thread starter macrumors 68040

boss.king

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Good to know and great question OP.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

On second thought, air your grievances in a public thread. Tired of all the stale iPhone 5 rumors. :D

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I think it works more like a public system.

If somebody sees the mods/admins doing something against the rules, then they post a thread about it. Then the other mods/admins work together (Along with arn, I assume) to see if the person in question did indeed break a rule/etc, and punish them accordingly.

Also, you could use the Contact Us link, and/or PM arn/Doctor Q/admins about it, if you prefer a more private approach.

I vote for the thread. It's always nice to see a debate on whether somebody is breaking the rules or not (I like seeing both sides of the arguments, it entertains me).

9. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I'm assuming you're joking, but just so no one is confused:

maflynn is correct. If you want to make a complaint about specific moderation, send a Contact form. You're guaranteed that an administrator will review the case and answer you. Among other things, the admins oversee moderation.

Mods work as a team a lot of the time and consult each other if there's a grey area. But mistakes can happen; we're all human. So feel free to send any questions or complaints via the Contact form. We ask members to do it this way because moderation is private, and we only share details with the member involved.

If however someone absolutely wants to discuss specific moderation concerning their own posts in public, they have to explicitly state that we can post details. From the Moderation FAQ:

(emphasis mine)

As far as I have seen, members generally seem to be pretty satisfied with the responses they get from Contact forms. That's why I'd suggest going that route before insisting on airing one's moderation laundry in public.

Be careful what you ask for. :p

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just to add that moderators' moderation is as private as anyone else's moderation. We being moderators does not mean that our posts can be reviewed in public. A Contact form is the best approach like suggested above, that will be reviewed by the admins.

Public thread might be entertaining but it's also extremely humiliating and embarrassing. Getting to know and discussing other people's private things is always fun, that is why tabloids are so popular, but it being fun doesn't mean that it's right. Every member has the right for privacy.

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you use the Contact form to complain about an administrator then that administrator will see your message, but other administrators will look into it. We avoid the obvious conflict of interest in having someone review their own actions, decisions, or communications with users.

There's unlikely to be a situation so sensitive that you'd have to PM a specific administrator about another administrator, but if you are the type who trusts only certain people then you could use PMs instead.

It's a courtesy to arn not to send him messages that administrators can handle, but he's the ultimate decision-maker and will sometimes direct administrators to change policies.