Reports of iPod Nanos overheating

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tobyw7, Aug 19, 2008.

1. tobyw7 macrumors regular

tobyw7

Taken from the BBC Technology web site:

The Japanese government is investigating a possible battery defect in the iPod Nano music player.

There have been two reports of Nanos overheating in Tokyo, scorching nearby paper.

Economy, Trade and Industry ministry official Hiroyuki Yo*****une was quoted by the Associated Press as saying the government is in touch with Apple to investigate the defect.

A problem with the lithium-ion battery was suspected, the AP wire agency said.

The report echoes an incident in March, in which the Japanese government stepped in to investigate an iPod Nano that overheated, shooting sparks.

In 2006, Apple was forced to recall some 1.8 million lithium-ion Sony-made laptop batteries that were prone to overheating.

Just saw this, thought it might be of some interest to some people on here. Not sure why to be honest.

But it does look like it could be an issue.

2. Crovax macrumors member

Crovax

I bought my iPod nano about one month ago and since that time it was under a heavy use. And you know...I had absolutely no problems with it and I am 100% happy. :) And of course I didn't notice anything that even slightly looked like overheating.

3. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Overheating? My 3G iPod nano (8 GB blue case) has not come anywhere near to overheating, even inside the thick Speck Products ToughSkin case!

4. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

The problem with all of this is, what was the life of the Ipod prior to this incident? I assume Ipods use lithium ion batteries. But irregardless of the battery type, batteries really don't appreciate being dropped, dented, charged with out of spec charging voltages, being placed in the hot sun for hours prior to charging, etc. The problem I have with this latest report is no one knows the life of these units prior to the incidents. And one other thing: of all the millions of Ipods out there, three fires is a major problem? Ford has more cars catch on fire each year, and that's not even enough to trigger an investigation. :confused:

5. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

6. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

my touch gets a little toasty when charging, but not over heating.

7. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

8. JayMan8081 macrumors regular

Yeah all the reports and news stories that I've seen have only mentioned the first generation nano's as well. So far it seems it may be isolated to the 1G.