Reports on Mavericks damaging graphic cards on Macbook Pros and iMacs

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by cquintella, Oct 29, 2013.

1. cquintella macrumors newbie

After installing Mavericks some users are reporting damage to the graphic cards on some macbook pros and iMacs. In my case was a Macbook Pro 15" eary 2011 Corei7. After I installed Mavericks it started to present problems when booting - hanging in a gray screen, and activating fans. Friends of mine are reporting the same issue on iMacs and MacBook Pros 2012.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Links on this?

I've not seen any reports, not to say it isn't true, but if you're stating something as a fact, please cite your sources.

3. paxos macrumors newbie

Jepp, same here, my MacBook Pro early 2011 started having graphic glitches after installing Mavericks, but was still bootable with a bit of luck. But finally after a few days its totally bricked.

See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?start=795&tstart=0

I have a date with a Genius tomorrow, but I don't have much hope that I will not have to pay it by myself... new logic board

4. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

On the link you posted:
    To which someone replies

5. paxos macrumors newbie

Well, it work'ed 2 1/2 years without a problem but broke after 2 days of Mavericks. May be bad luck, but maybe some of the energy optimizations in Mavericks were just too much for a stressed chip.

6. mikkelnl macrumors member

Wow, exact same problem here... Been using a 15" macbook pro, early 2011 and it showed glitches immediately after Mavericks and is now toast (won't boot, only a few successfull boots but mostly distorted grey screen after power on).

I thought it was just bad luck :eek:

7. kris.art macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm looking for people who had a computer (graphic card) damaged during upgrade to OS X Mavericks. I want to go to the Consumer Advocate and I need to prove that there was many accidents like that.

I'll be very thankful for any help.

Kris

8. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

I think we need someone with a good amount of kext and hardware knowledge to chime in here, I'm not that person but I have a few theories on the matter.

As far as my understanding goes, this pretty much isn't possible. The core OS under Mavericks isn't too far removed from previous versions and while there have been updates to graphics drivers/kexts it's unlikely they would do anything to the GPU's to cause failures beyond a few simple temp increases. Anything beyond the chip tolerance level (which is much much higher than most people can achieve unless they block the vents during some heavy tasking) would likely be noticeable to the user (excess fan noise and heat).

I also believe the SMC is hard coded to the machine and also only changeable via a firmware update, again something that I don't think is modified my the installation on 10.9. which means the fans in response to temp increases should operate the same regardless of the OS installed, however I do accept that some processes within the OS will have certain ways of communication with the SMC so there could be an issue here.

In all likely hood it's just a coincidence and there was a general hardware fault pre-existing just waiting to happen. Unless we see accounts of this happening on a mass scale I really don't think 10.9 is to blame.

9. chevalier433, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

GPU power management not working in mavericks with specific os x and third party app ,stuck in high frequency until restart.

10. kris.art macrumors newbie

I have found an article on Apple insider: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...o-lineup-suffering-from-sporadic-gpu-failures

What do you think?

All in all, the more accidents like that has happened, the less possible would be a theory that it was just an unfortunate coincidence. I would like to know how many people reports an issue with graphic card damage after Mavericks upgrade. If somebody have reported the issue like that or knows who have, please, contact me as soon as possible.

Thank you.

11. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

I am sure you have tried many things to fix this, but have your tried the basics?

1. reset PMMU?

2. zapped your PRAM?

3. Rebuilt desktop (j.k. on this one)

4. reboot from another drive, such as eternal with SL, Lion, ML, etc... on it?

5. reinstall Mavericks?

----------

I forgot to mention this, sometime last year my Early 2011 MBP 17, acted completely dead. Nothing seemed to want to revive it.

What I ended up doing to fix it, by luck is to remove all eleven screws from the back of the unit, and CAREFULLY disconnect the battery, sing a silly song out loud, and then plug it back in , replace screws, then computer worked.

I had Mavericks installed, though I think that was not the issue. I actually had the same problem at the same time on another mac, after swapping my HD into it. I think it was a BAD USB device. That solution fixed both macs.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

13. paulCC macrumors member

I think you might be right....

I think you might be correct.

I have an 2011 Early MBP15 as well. Right after installing Mavericks, I noticed an issue with Finder space-bar preview, and the Preview app with Olympus RAW images. I described it here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52430268
    The bug seems graphics-related.

My logic board failed some 3 weeks ago, and had to be replaced due the failure of discreet GPU. Lucky me, I still have Applecare, so it was free, and took only 4 days ( which is simply amazing, considering I now live in the Czech republic, with no Apple store ).

I have now tried the ORF file on the new logic board, and the problem is still there.

I do not much care for all the US-style-lawyer class-action lawsuit nonsense, but I think here it might be the only way to make Apple to do the right thing, admit to the problem, and offer fixes to effected users. I just see too many users reporting the discreet GPU failures on the 2011 Early computers for this not to be an issue. And the occurrence seems spiking up in the last few months, corresponding to the release of Mavericks.

Paul.

14. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Graphics drivers are nearly always on the list for testing in OS X betas as far as I can remember though... Not that I'm ruling out the possibility that they might have tried remedying the problem :/

15. paulCC macrumors member

update.....

...to my own post.

I have received today a late 2013 Retina 13, and it does NOT show the graphical glitches with the Olympus RAW files the 2011 Early 15 MBP has...

One more indication the 2011 MBP is suspect...

Paul

16. paulCC macrumors member

GPU dead on a 3-weeks old logic board

And the saga continues.....

While working on transfering data to my new rMBP, the discreet GPU died again on my 2011 Early MBP 15. This less than 3 weeks after the logic board was replaced under Applecare warranty to fix the GPU problem.

My plan was to sell the MBP. Now I cannot really do that, with this history of issues.

After I cool off a little bit, I will write an email to T. Cook. This is unacceptable....

Paul.

17. Eriamjh1138@DAN macrumors 6502

Eriamjh1138@DAN

I think Maverics has a problem with properly switching GPUs on the early 2011 MBPs. Mine's blank sometimes at wakeup and then seems to pop back when it switches to the Intel GPU. I don't really use it for more than browsing.

18. PCUserMSHater macrumors newbie

Consumer Advocate

Hi Kris,

My name is Jeff, please contact me about this Mac issue. There's a lot going on to get folks recompensed for their faulty gear.

jeff@meteorsite.com