Reposting here - Looking for a simple solid smartphone.. windows 8?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Fouracre44, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fouracre44 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Recently I posted in the iphone forum and was told to repost here because I used to own an iphone and still use mac in my home but am talking about windows. It was stolen a few months ago from my bag while I was at work, and I'm getting a new phone but I'm certainly not getting an iphone 5 as it's just not built that well and past iphones aren't exactly what I want either.

I work as an electrician, I need a phone that will be good for work and personal use and is easy to use and I'm not comfortable with android, I don't necessarily think the interface is that great and I think iOS does it better. but I had the pleasure of using windows 8 the other day and I loved it, I've not had the chance to use this OS long term but I think I would love to use this in the long term.

For anyone using windows phone 8, what phone should I be looking at and how is this OS? I don't need all the fancy apps and crazy live wallpapers and crazy stuff, just want a solid smartphone, with good call quality, and good durability, I will be putting a case on it anyway.

Can anyone help me?

Cheers

2. MuffCabbage, May 20, 2013
    Last edited: May 20, 2013

MuffCabbage macrumors regular

Who's your provider? Whats your price range (Subsidized or full price?)?

Higher End:
    The 928 on Verizon for $30-100 (subsidized)
    Lumia 920 on ATT

Lower End:
    Lumia 520 and 720. These phones wont play the more demanding games since they have limited RAM.
    720 gets you a solid phone besides the RAM.
    520 gets you a super cheap phone for around $150 unsubsidized, but the screen is going to be a bit washed out and no camera flash. It should still be a solid phone though.

3. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Go Nokia if you can. The Here Drive GPS app is superb and free features like Nokia Music is also a great addition.

Some of the Nokia exclusive applications make it worth going for a Lumia over rival handsets.

4. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I have the 8X on Verizon and I really like it, but if you are on Verizon or AT&T the price of the 920/928 with 32gb of storage are hard to beat. I owned a Lumia 822 for a while and for the most part think the Nokia exclusive apps are slightly overrated, but they are pretty neat. I don't think you will be disappointed with a high end Lumia, especially the camera.

5. otismotive77 macrumors 6502

nokia has the best windows8 smartphones. you should consider these 2: lumia 920, lumia 925.

6. MuffCabbage macrumors regular

Here Drive is in all Windows Phones now, but Nokia allows its phones to have a worldwide license vs just their continent or something like that. They also do provide a lot of other good apps and features for their phones that make them a good choice.

7. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Along these same lines (sorry to hijack the thread OP) - what would ya'll consider the best WP8 smartphone for checking out WP8.....

I'm looking for cheap and unsubsidized, likely $300 and below if at all possible. It won't be a phone I use a lot, don't care about the camera or playing tons of games. Would like a decent display though. Storage space is a non-issue.

8. scott craft macrumors 6502a

I wish Nokia would put an amp on the headphone jack like the 8X. I was skeptical of the sound because the 822 I had sounded nice, but it doesn't compare to the 8X. HTC certainly got that part right. If the 8X had a memory card slot and a slightly bigger battery it would be perfect in my opinion. As it is the 8X and 928 are both $99 on Verizon so the 8X is really a tough sell with what the 928 has to offer.

9. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

The Lumia 521 is suppose to be remarkable for its price - you can find it for $129 unsubsidized. It'll work on TMobile, but perhaps Att as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.