Reproducible 2011 Bootcamp GPU Crash with Flash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrRickDaglessMD, Apr 16, 2011.

1. DrRickDaglessMD macrumors newbie

Hey all, I thought I'd post my experience with the 2011 High-End MBP 15" involving a pretty reliably reproducible GPU crash when using embedded Flash videos while in Bootcamped Win 7 (professional 64-bit).

I find that if you pause a YouTube video in Chrome (and maybe others) and allow the notebook to go to sleep, when you wake it and resume playing the video, the graphics drivers will crash and you might get a message saying the ATI drivers have crashed and successfully recovered. I find that maybe 50% of the time if I still try and play the video, the display will freak out and crash with static-like artifacts corrupting the whole screen. This requires a hard reboot to recover from. Win 7 reports that it recovered from an unexpected shutdown.

It doesn't happen all that often, but it does mean that you have to be careful that you don't resume any youtube videos you might have open buried in the many Chrome tabs you might have going. I guess this will probably be fixed with the next graphics card driver release, but I'm not holding my breath.

Speaking of which, how do we get new graphics drivers for the MBP discrete cards? the ATI website doesn't seem to offer any that are compatible (at least according to the installers!).

Jim

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

3. DrRickDaglessMD thread starter macrumors newbie