Reproducible Time Machine Hanging Weirdness

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tangentially, Dec 28, 2007.

1. tangentially macrumors newbie

I have an original MBP running Leopard (10.5.1 9B18). I have 2 external drives that I use with it. One (which I use for Time Machine) is a 750 gig, RAID-1 firewire drive and I connect it using FW400 (since that's all my MBP has.)

The other drive, which I carry with me everywhere is a USB Hitachi 200g 2.5" Sata drive.

I have sliced the FW RAID drive up into 4 partitions. 1 is 8G and contains an install image of Leopard. The next is a 100 gig partition with a CarbonCopy Clone of my boot drive. The next is a 200 gig partition that I rsync daily from the external Hitachi drive and the last is a 400+ gig TimeMachine partition. All of these are excluded from both Time Machine and Spotlight. This drive is my fallback if my notebook is stolen/lost/destroyed and stays in my office at work.

Every day when I get to work and connect up the two external drives, Time Machine starts and hangs with a bunch of "MDBackupBegin() returned result (906) > 0, waiting" messages in the system log.

The solution I have found, which works every time, is to eject and reattach the Hitachi drive. Once I do that, Time Machine runs great all day.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? Also, does anyone know where I can find any documentation on MDBackupBegin result codes?

Thanks,

John

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Glad you found a workaround but, if you have a reproducible error, you should report it.