Reprogram your Forum Search!

Proginoskes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Tempe, AZ
When I used your search widgit, it gave me a list of threads that had my search terms in them. Unfortunately, some of the threads were on the longish side: 40 or 50 posts.

Can you reprogram your search widgit to return *pages* that contain the search terms, instead?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The search function of VB isn't very robust and the admins would probably have to do some custom work to change any of it.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
You can to show posts instead of threads for your search - is that what you're asking?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Gourd City
When I used your search widgit, it gave me a list of threads that had my search terms in them. Unfortunately, some of the threads were on the longish side: 40 or 50 posts.

Can you reprogram your search widgit to return *pages* that contain the search terms, instead?
If you're referring to the quick Search dropdown, there are two radio buttons. You should select Show Posts.

Or go here:
http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php

Look at lower left of Search Options. In the "Show results as" box there are two radio buttons Threads and Posts. Click Posts.

Proginoskes

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Thanks for the reply.

I was typing over the text that says "Search Forums ..." (above and to the right of the Search drop-down). If you do that, then you don't get any options to search by post, AFAICT.

Well my complaint is now, why are there TWO places which allow you to search?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Thanks for the reply.

I was typing over the text that says "Search Forums ..." (above and to the right of the Search drop-down). If you do that, then you don't get any options to search by post, AFAICT.

Well my complaint is now, why are there TWO places which allow you to search?
I don't know, but my guess would be that the one is just a quick, simple, search and the other one is for more detailed and advanced searches.