Reprogram your Forum Search!

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Proginoskes, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Proginoskes macrumors member

When I used your search widgit, it gave me a list of threads that had my search terms in them. Unfortunately, some of the threads were on the longish side: 40 or 50 posts.

Can you reprogram your search widgit to return *pages* that contain the search terms, instead?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The search function of VB isn't very robust and the admins would probably have to do some custom work to change any of it.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can to show posts instead of threads for your search - is that what you're asking?

4. chown33 macrumors 604

If you're referring to the quick Search dropdown, there are two radio buttons. You should select Show Posts.

Or go here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php

Look at lower left of Search Options. In the "Show results as" box there are two radio buttons Threads and Posts. Click Posts.

5. Proginoskes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

I was typing over the text that says "Search Forums ..." (above and to the right of the Search drop-down). If you do that, then you don't get any options to search by post, AFAICT.

Well my complaint is now, why are there TWO places which allow you to search?

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't know, but my guess would be that the one is just a quick, simple, search and the other one is for more detailed and advanced searches.