Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
with macOS Seirra and high seirra out and going strong and El Capitan on its last year of support Iv been thinking. Why not wipe OS X and use the Mac Pro as a windows 10 Gaming PC. I was thinking using the processors, and putting 32gb ram in there. what do you all think on graphics currently have a gtx 660 I want to play modded Skyrim and fallout 4 as well as seta v and some otherr multiplayer games.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I've not been following game RAM requirements, but 32GB seems very high for that purpose. Or maybe I am way behind the times.

Pockett

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2015
With that graphics card, you'll be running those types of games at medium graphical settings at 1080p, Skyrim would probably run at maximum settings. As for the RAM, I haven't seen any game that benefits from having more than 16 GB of RAM. Well, there's nothing stopping you from putting 32 GB of RAM in that system if you really have a desire to do so.

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
ya what worried me was the old 667mhz ddr2 and pic 1,1 im thinking a new graphics card pastel or something since it won't b running Mac but im not sure yet lol. I just don't see the point in run-ing El Capitan on it when my 2014 mini can run high seirra and run it better other then not having a ssd wich I could add in the pro mini has 2.6ghz i5 8gb ram 1tb hard drive

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
JUST AN UPDATE I GOT WINDOWS 10 INSTALLED NOW JUST GOTTA GTE MY DRIVERS INSTALLED AND INSTALL SOME GAMES I WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW THE END RESUELT ENDS UP BEING MAYBE WITH A FEW YOUTUBE VIDS

blindpcguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2016
Bald Knob Arkansas
Ok so iv been gaming on it fr a few days now and its flawless. runs all the games i try at medium settings so far mainly fallout 4 and skyrim but iv also tested star wars the old republic and overwatch. overwtach runs at ultra by the way. so im happy with this resuelt hopefully it wont disapoint any time soon now i can save more for a better gaming build and go higher end since iv got somthing to use

Reactions: lilins

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Ok so iv been gaming on it fr a few days now and its flawless. runs all the games i try at medium settings so far mainly fallout 4 and skyrim but iv also tested star wars the old republic and overwatch. overwtach runs at ultra by the way. so im happy with this resuelt hopefully it wont disapoint any time soon now i can save more for a better gaming build and go higher end since iv got somthing to use

Good job!

Really goes to show how capable the original Mac Pros are. Fantastic machines.

lilins

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2018
Villeurbanne
Yes I agree I’m thinking a 1050 to and this old beast will shine even more and up the ram

Hi, sorry to wake up this thread but doing almost the same right now with R9 380/390x (to keep the Mac OS Boot for the rest)

Do you have the dual core x5150 cpu or have you upgraded to x5355/65? quad core?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.