Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
Hey all,
I'm just curious if any of you have interesting recommendations for what to do with an old 2008 Macbook Pro. I picked up a brand new Mid-2014 rmbp in January of this year (and love it), and gave my 2011 to my wife. Her old 2008 is now sitting untouched and I'm torn as to what to do.

Originally I was just going to sell it, but truthfully I don't really need to nor do I really want to hassle with selling it, so I've started pondering if there is anything useful I can do with it. I've had the following ideas:

-Leave it setup in my upstairs computer room with my Cinema display (which gets used much less now that I have a retina MBP), and use it with my guitar interface always hooked up and install Ampkit. I currently hate dragging out and setting up the interface in the times I want to practice through my Macbook

-Experiment/swap parts. I would probably take out the CD drive, and install a large 2nd hard drive for additional storage such as videos or any DVD's I want to rip. I have a lot of guitar lesson DVD's that would be cool to have stored on like a server type setup

-Media server? Would a 2008 cut the mustard as a media server? Right now we have a crap TV in our master bedroom. I'd love to upgrade that TV and somehow be able to have videos, netflix, music, etc stream to it. Not really sure that I need an extra laptop to do this though with the right TV, but just a thought.....

Any suggestions or other outside the box ideas others have done with their old laptops? Thanks!

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
The 2008 should easily work as a server. I use a Mini from 2006 as my iTunes server and it is plenty powerful for that use. I don't even have a monitor attached as I can just remote desktop in and do any thing I need.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2011
How big of a hard drive does your mini have?? Or do you have it hooked up to external hard drives for storage?

rsbell

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Murrieta, CA
I'm in the same boat in that I have the early 2008 MPB with the graphics issue that I'm having the GPU reballed this week for $130, but I don't know what to do with it afterwards.

It's still a fine machine that runs Yosemite well (and should be fine on El Capitan), but I I don't really have a clue what to do with it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.