All iPads [Req] Compare 3/4 & mini to Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lagmonster, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

I'm looking for some 1st-hand comparisons from people who have owned 3/4's and minis and just moved to an Air. I know what all the reviews have said, but I trust you guys more :)

Does it REALLY feel that much easier to hold? The weight? Anything else?

Thanks in advance!

2. Freakyshiat macrumors regular

Compared to the 3/4, it is night and day. There is no doubt about it. But it is no mini, I purchased the air just to hold me over till I can get my hands on the retina mini.

Once the initial shock and awe wears off, you realize it is no mini, and at the same time it is downright incredible what apple has done to the air. I personally feel like it comes down to whether you have big hands or small, and how good your vision is.

3. Lagmonster thread starter macrumors 6502

It sounds like I need an Air + a retina mini... Grrr.

Thanks for the info!

4. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I went from the iPad 3/4 to the mini and after awhile I was wishing for a bigger lighter device and now i have it.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

The iPad air is noticeably lighter than my iPad 3, but quite close in feeling to my friend's iPad 2. 4 of us were suprised that the air didn't feel lighter at all compared to iPad 2.

6. Freakyshiat macrumors regular

its an ipad2 with thinner size bezels, better wifi and LTE radios, retina display and much much faster cpu/gpu.

I have been using it non stop past hour. Love the larger screen as some of the same apps obviously look a lot better on the bigger screen as I had gotten used to the smaller mini display, and that crappy resolution. The retina mini will be the best of both worlds to me, I may have a hard time letting this air go though.

7. Lagmonster thread starter macrumors 6502

I just went down to the Verizon store and compared the Air to the mini. I'm REALLY impressed with the Air. This makes things difficult.

8. photoj2754 macrumors 6502

photoj2754

I didn't mind the heft of the 3 I had. Felt more secure but I have to say it is a huge, huge difference going to the Air weight-wise. And man is it fast. Never really paid much attention to that but it is there. Still getting used to the whole lighter feel phenomena right now but those two factors plus that I went to 32 gigs make me feel extremely satisfied with my purchase.

9. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Well, my son is still using an iPad 2 and the difference is still night and day--not sure how you guys don't notice it being about 25% lighter, thinner and 15mm narrower.

The differences in size/weight between the Air and all previous versions of the full size iPad are pretty dramatic.

10. kalt macrumors regular

The weight difference is very significant. Went to Best Buy to try one out this morning and hold it up next to a Mini (obviously not the retina).

I have an iPad 4 but I've long felt I'd like it more if the screen were a little smaller. Wanted to get a Mini but didn't want to sacrifice retina display and power. Now that a 128gb retina Mini is on the horizon, that's the perfect device for me. Can't wait. But I wanted to make sure the Air wouldn't be even better. It's nice, but no, waiting for the Mini ret'.

11. richlee111 macrumors regular

Had the 3. And how light is the Air to the 3? Light enough that I noticed it immediately when handed the box at the Apple store. The same can be said about the Smart Cover. Yea, the smart cover feels less rugged now that they got rid of the aluminum hinge, but man, the combination of the 2 w/ the cover is the optimal weight.

And don't forget the compactness of it now. For it to lose of its width, its soooo much easier now to type on screen in portrait mode. Its almost like the ipad went to bootcamp and lost its love handles.

If the iPad Air is a person, this guy's in its primal shape and weight now:D