Req: Time Capsule ac 2013 blackmagic speed test?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by willjohansson, Jan 9, 2014.

1. willjohansson macrumors newbie

Hello, im kinda stuck!
    I need a new router and a new external hdd. thinking about getting a Time capsule.

Im stuck in the decision because i can't find a good answer to how the real world transfer speeds are if i want to use one of the new AC Time capsules as external storage using AC wireless on my 2013 mbp retina.

anyone with the latest firmware+mavericks and a 2013 mac with ac wireless wanna do a couple of blackmagic speed tests for me?

That way at least i can compare to my current old usb 2.0 external drive :)

//William Johansson, Sweden.

2. willjohansson thread starter macrumors newbie

Or maybe just some timed test for a 4gb file or two?

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing that it will be the Time Capsule's processor that's the slow point, not the wireless throughput. I'm only guessing, because I have only a 1st-gen Time Capsule (yes, from 2008), but I was curious so I tried the Black Magic speed test on it. The TC is connected via Gigabit Ethernet to my iMac (through a Gigabit switch).

I only get about 15 MB/s write and 10 MB/s read, according to Black Magic. This fits with what I've observed with iStat Menus: that when a Time Machine backup is in steady state, I see a throughput of about 10 or 11 MB/s.

It's fast enough for a lot of things, but not what I'd call fast! I haven't heard of the newer TCs being any faster, but they certainly could be.

4. analog guy macrumors 6502

5th gen (newest) TC with BlackMagic:

* I get 29MB/s write and 16 read over an 802.11ac (late 2013 iMac 27") connection (with actual transmit rate of 1300).
    * I got similar performance with a 2013 MBA (802.11ac) when further from the router, indicating that the bottleneck has more to do with something other than the 802.11ac connection.

On the other hand, I just tested via an MP3,1 on a wired connection and got 45MB/s read & write....so something must be happening with the wireless aspect.

The 2TB HD on the TC is about 1/2 to 2/3 full.

Hope this helps.

5. willjohansson thread starter macrumors newbie

that does help, a bit slower than the usb 2.0 7200rpm drive i have... but I'm guessing it could be about the same peed as using a 5400rpm portable usb 2.0 drive?

any experience with playing 1080p movies from your time capsule on your mac? or maybe streaming with beamer to an apple tv? :)

6. analog guy macrumors 6502

sorry, i've never streamed content from the time capsule. 25-45MB/s doesn't seem very high.

7. Altemose, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014

Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I just streamed a 1080p project I made in iMovie and saved as a movie file from my AC AirPort Extreme. Attached is a 5400 USB 2 hard drive. No noticeable degrade in quality or performance. So if a USB drive attached is fast enough with writes of 21 MB/S and 12 MB/S of READ, then I am sure the Time Capsule will be more than plenty!

8. dublove macrumors newbie

4th gen 3tb here. 49mb/s write and 65mb/read (ethernet connections...)

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Even BluRay only requires a few MB/s of bandwidth. 20 MB/s is more than plenty for several streams.