Request advice on Macbook/MB accessories pls

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by inNYC, Sep 3, 2008.

1. inNYC macrumors newbie

All -

I use an iMac at home on Belkin wireless. Not a power user/ gamer. Occasional work-from-home / spreadsheet use but no real heavy lifting. I am considering adding a refurbished MB (over MBP or AM) for mobile in-house browsing and occasional out of home use and travel needs (trains, planes, etc.). Occasional podcast, video, movie watcher. I do use a Palm and can get basic mobile browsing, so am not looking for daily out-of-house, on-the-go MB use.

So...

(1) Does a MB make sense vs. MBP or AM for my needs?
    (2) Does a refurb make sense? I can save 15-20% over list. Any downside there?
    (3) Do you have advice as to what additional software / hardware (chargers, adaptors, etc.) are needed?
    (4) any other advice? Anything I am missing?
    (5) Finally, any good links or sites for general upkeep and maintenance advice for maintaining Macs?

Thanks for helping.

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

1) A macbook will be fine for your needs.

2) No downsides on the refurb, you just don't get fancy packaging. Sometimes there will be older models on the store (priced accordingly) , so try and go for a newer one if possible.

3) You may need an additional adaptor if you wish to use your macbook with an external monitor.

5) Not that i have seen personally, i would say don't let dust/dirt accumulate on the keyboard.

Hope this is the kind of answer you were looking for!

3. Tutankhamark macrumors member

I think a macbook will be good for you but I think an air might be slightly more practical as you dont need the higher specs of the macbook, unless you dont want to spend the extra cash. I have a macbook and use it roughly like you but I do find it slightly on the weighty side when I do take it places. A shoulder bag with a macbook, accessories and some books does get a bit uncomfortable after a while.

I would advice you get a logitech v470 mouse as they are bluetooth like the mighty mouse at half the price and come in white, (if you are buying the white macbook), so it looks good too.

Good luck with your decision!:)

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

For your use, definitely a Macbook, especially if you want to be able to burn/import a cd or watch a dvd on the go.

Refurb quality is as good or better than new quality (new products have not been thoroughly examined like refurb) and you should have no problem going that route.

As far as accessories go, I would suggest getting a miniDVI adapter as has been suggested already for the ext. monitor.

For protection and keeping things clean, I suggest an Incase hard shell cover and iSkin keyboard cover
    Alternatively Speck offers a similar hardshell case for the Macbook that is clear and offers a variety of color rather than partially opaque and limited colors with incase.

Good luck! :)

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yeah, MB is the best choice for your situation. You don't travel in a way that requires the ultra light Air and don't do the heavy lifting of the MBP.

Get a refurb because:

1. It performs and looks like new
    2. You get the same one-year warranty as new
    3. The computer carries the same eligibility for Apple Care as new
    4. It is fully tested (including full burn-in testing)
    5. It is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing
    6. It is thoroughly cleaned and inspected
    7. It is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.) - nothing is missing
    8. It includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system
    9. It is placed into a final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock
    10. You get a savings several times that of any coupon or promo code ($150 on a low end MacBook; $750 on a high-end MacBook Pro).

Macworld just pubished a series on maintaining your Mac - the anti-ick kind of stuff. Worth a read for the switcher.

I would personally recommend a copy of disk warrior for regular file sorting cleanliness. Plus, it can get you out of mighty, mighty jams (and an occasional marmalade).