Request advice on what causes this odd-shaped bubble or space under iPhone 3G screen

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Granitel, Aug 2, 2011.

  1. Granitel, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

    Granitel macrumors member

    Jul 27, 2011
    I bought a used iPhone 3G 8GB on Craigslist for $120 for use on the T-Mobile network and the only problem (so far) that I've noticed is that the screen appears to have a strange 'space' on the bottom left & there are blue dots when the screen is black.

    Googling, I found round 'bubble' problems, but I couldn't find any pictures (in of the same irregular-shaped bubbly defect/problem that I see on my screen in the photo below.

    This defect (see photo below) doesn't appear to hamper use; but I'm wondering if it will spread - and - if it's something I 'should' worry about (and, if so, how to fix it).

    Thanks, in advance, for any advice you can provide.

    NOTE: It's hard to get this in a picture because of the lack of contrast.

    Attached Files:

  2. Granitel thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 27, 2011
    I waited 36 hours for a helpful response ... so I hesitate to post again ... as I'm a newbie here.

    In searching, I found this Apple secret document (not for public dissemination apparently) which implies that there is a common pixel repair solution.

    Does this bubble on my phone look like the common pixel dot problem listed below?


    Attached Files:

  3. Bloodkip macrumors newbie

    Aug 16, 2010
    Maybe, you can take apart the iPhone and clean the bottom. As seeing your other thread that your on T-Mobile. If you take the iPhone back to Apple you may lose your unlock. If it bothers you that much, take apart the phone and clean it. The dead pixel policy applies to the screen I believe.
  4. Granitel, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011

    Granitel thread starter macrumors member

    Jul 27, 2011
    Nobody seems to know what this irregular blob actually is!

    Thanks for the suggestion; it's weird that nobody else on this entire forum has any experience with this weird-shaped blob. :(

    It seems feasible to change the screen; but all the screen-changing threads I looked up were for something 'else', namely:
    • Dust particles under the screen
    • Cracked or broken screens
    • Dead pixels

    The blob above seems to be none of those (or, maybe it's very odd alien shaped dust)?

    I think I also have two dead pixels (see photo below with the two blue dots circled). They don't bother me.

    What bothers me is I don't know "WHAT" that irregular blob is under the glass!

    Doesn't anyone know what that irregular blob is?

    Attached Files:

Share This Page