Request calibrated color profile for rMBP LG

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maplingstorie, Oct 12, 2012.

1. maplingstorie, Oct 12, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

maplingstorie macrumors 6502

I have the LG for my rMBP which I am very disappointed with the brightness and color. Anyone out there who has calibrated their rMBP, may I ask if it's possible to share? :( i'm trying to love this screen but somehow somewhere I can't.

2. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

This is what I currently use, not sure if will be good enough for you but it is for my Samsung screen.

Attached Files:

3. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

woah.. it turned my display blue lol! Guess there's a big difference between LG and Samsung :( thank you for the post.

4. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

haha sorry about that, I think it is very different indeed because for me it looks amazing. :)

5. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

It did the same on my Samsung. I think it's more of a unit by unit thing.

6. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

No two screens will be exactly the same, so using someone else's calibration profile isn't the best idea. Even within the same manufacturer there's a lot of variance from screen to screen.

7. ScholarsInk macrumors regular

Exactly. If screens didn't very, there would be little point to calibration.

8. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

That is what happens when you use the OSX icc file on the Samsung rMBP under windows.

However, the OSX icc file on the LG rMBP works fine under Windows.

I have both. LG and Samsung displays are totally different beasts.

9. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

sigh :( was hoping to find someone who has a calibration profile that could be the same as the Samsung's. :(

----------

perhaps you're right. Was trying to see my luck if there was any calibrated profile that would fit me. I don't know how to calibrate myself. what I did was download a bunch of profiles and select to fit what pleases my eyes more. haha :) cheers!

10. leman macrumors 604

I've been asking for a calibrated profile for the LG display for a few weeks now, it seems that nobody has one (or is willing to share ^^)

11. jffluis macrumors regular

jffluis

On my Samsung Display, this profile is very bad.. grays are like blue..

12. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

hahaha.. hi 5

13. nanolife macrumors 6502

nanolife

As I said before, it looks amazing on my screen. Never tried someone else's profile, just calibrated it myself.

Did you try calibrating yours?

14. snoylekim macrumors member

Try this ..LG screen ..SRGB calibrated with I1 .. average 2.1 delta E .. sRGB gamma ..

Crap.. no attachment ..hold on ..

15. snoylekim macrumors member

Here it is .. again , from an LG retina .. pretty good delta E .. I need to measure the default to see how far off that is ...

Attached Files:

16. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

You have your graphs you can upload? Which i1 (D2, Pro, etc...) and what software?

17. snoylekim macrumors member

I1 DisplayPro, used the I1 Profiler ( latest version) ..the only output I've saved was the QA report ( 24 Color check patch versus LAB) ..White point was targeted for 6500 .. luminosity at 120 .. I can zip the QA report if you'd like..

18. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Yeah man that would be awesome. Always curious :) Last time I used i1 profiler (with my i1 pro, awesome little device huh?) it gave me "ok" results. But since one of my main hobbies is TV calibration (with the i1 pro and Calman), I wanted more control.

Best I could find is ColorBasic5. Doesn't give me the reports that I like (again used to Calman/CalPC). But still does a good job. avg DE of .24 with sRGB (80 cdm2).

Attached Files:

19. snoylekim macrumors member

^^ Wow ...that's tight ..Yes, the device is pretty slick ..I also have a Cinema 27" display, and a Dell U2410 hooked up to the Windows desktop workstation, so it was time to invest in some home calibration . I haven't had time to tweak the calibration for the MBP .. what's posted is my second pass .. will recalibrate in 2 -3 weeks .

20. maplingstorie thread starter macrumors 6502

wow this is nice! enjoying my lg display more now. thanks so much!

21. snoylekim macrumors member

Glad it makes the display look better for you .. Calibration doesn't always do that for people, as color, etc can be very subjective .. This profile targets 6500k and 120 lum , which might be a little too 'cool' and bright for some people that prefer a warmer white .. Calibration also insures accurate color ..it won't necessarily make colors more vibrant, etc .. or 'better looking' ..that's the subjective part .

22. SchuettS macrumors 6502

I'm using it now too. I think it looks better.

23. stevedusa macrumors regular

Umm using this profile for my LG screen with retention problem and the color temperature is cooler for sure.

I think I'll try my Spyder 3 and do my own calibration.

24. ibd macrumors member

I can upload the calibrated profile for my LG screen if anyone cares (each screen being different etc.). I used a Spyder 3 to do it and chose a white point of 6500k, with some ambient lighting present.

One thing that surprised me that the preinstalled profile was already very close to the calibrated one! The calibrated one is just a touch warmer. For my old MBP, the cal. profile was vastly different from the preset!

25. Syvere macrumors member

Please do, I have yet to try any profiles, but surely the more the options the easier it is to find your own favourite.