iPad Pro "Request Desktop Site" as a default setting?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DotCom2, Jan 1, 2016.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

i have an iPad pro which can handle desktop versions of web sites beautifully. Yet every time it defaults to mobile version and I have to request the desktop version. Is there a setting somewhere where I can request desktop version as the default?

2. friedmud macrumors 65816

Almost all of the third party browsers offer this capability. I still use "Atomic Web" that I bought years ago even though it hasn't been updated. It works well for this kind of thing.

That said, I'm sure there are even better 3rd party browsers that have been updated for the iPad Pro...

3. friedmud macrumors 65816

I just checked... And the free "Dolphin" web browser has been updated for the iPad Pro and allows you to elect "Desktop Mode" permanently...

4. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Gee, thanks a bunch for that.

5. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Puffin is yet another browser that has an explicit setting. Safari does not have a permanent setting.

6. friedmud, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2016

friedmud macrumors 65816

Ummm... Why the sarcasm? I was curious and genuinely wanted to help so I tried a few from the App Store and reported back when I found one that was good.

7. fonemio macrumors newbie

fonemio

Really hoping Apple add this option to Safari soon. Not using the stock browser gets frustrating with all the copy and pasting of links etc.
    In all honesty it feels like Apple has put no thought into updating basic things for the iPad Pro...

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Speaking of mobile vs desktop sites, it's the weirdest thing; up until about two days ago the desktop version of cnet always loaded in Safari on my Mini, but now suddenly it's the mobile version, even if I request desktop. Very annoying.

9. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

LOL!. not sarcasm bro, it was genuine. Sorry it sounded that way.

10. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm sure they will eventually but I hear ya. Perplexing at the least.

11. username: macrumors 6502a

I have used Puffin a bit. Their default "request desktop site" is not as robust as safari. Safari has never failed to load the full desktop site for me, while puffin has failed on some sites and just refuses to load anything but the mobile site. No idea why. Maybe a bug.

12. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

Puffin works much better for me on full screen websites due to the flash support. For instance you can load youtube in safari in desktop mode fine but none of the videos play. On puffin all desktop websites actually work for me that have flash.