Request for feedback: CrashPlan servers and speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smirk, Mar 4, 2014.

1. smirk, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I started using CrashPlan about a week ago and overall am happy with it. However, my upload speed to their server is far, far slower than my upstream bandwidth (and the CPU isn't close to maxed out).

I thought it would be interesting if everyone posted their CrashPlan Central server locations and what their average upload speed is (and perhaps also the upload speed from Speedtest.net). Perhaps some servers are faster than others.

You can see the server to which you've been assigned by opening the CrashPlan app, clicking on "Destinations", then the "Cloud" tab, then "CrashPlan Central". The server address is called "Internet address" in the app.

I'll go first. Thanks!

-------------------

Server: csd-atl.crashplan.com:443
    Upload speed: ~1.5 Mbps
    Speedtest.net upload speed: 6.72 Mbps (and that's while CrashPlan is running)

-------------------

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I've uploaded about 2TB worth of data to my Crashplan account. Took a while, but the average throughput was about what I expected; maybe a bit slower but not too much.

chb-msp.crashplan.com:443

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

While they claim otherwise, transfers seem to be throttled. Should really be no surprise since it is an "all you can eat" service.

4. smirk thread starter macrumors 6502a

smirk

Yeah, I don't know if it's intentionally throttled or if they're just bottlenecked at their end. However, there is a lot of talk online about how different servers have different speeds (maybe less populated ones are faster?), so that is why I wanted to see what servers people were assigned to and what kinds of upload speeds they got.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Did you look in the CrashPlan options? There is a bandwidth throttling option, maybe it's reduced? I don't have my personal machine handy right now to look at that, or to compare my speeds.

6. smirk thread starter macrumors 6502a

smirk

Guys, I appreciate the help, but the purpose of this thread isn't to try to speed up my CrashPlan installation, but rather to collect some data on the various CrashPlan servers and their upload speeds.

Thanks!

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

OK, some system changes here caused a large backup to be occurring (about 600GB). It's running at 4.3Mbps. I've got 25Mbps FIOS up speed (which I've verified). My server is era-msp.crashplan.com:443