request for help backing up jailbroken ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by grither, Mar 26, 2011.

1. grither macrumors newbie

hi gang, i have a jb ipad1... i am having trouble backing it up. it appears to backup okay, but then when if i try to restore, itunes doesn't show any available backups. when itunes finishes the backup process, i notice that the ipad appears to be hung up... i have to hold the power and home button for awhile and then it boots like normal

if i cruise to the folder appdata-roaming- apple computer-mobile sync-backup there is a weird folder with a lot of numbers and letters. inside that, there is folder called snapshot, and a file called status.plist. inside the snapshot folder, there are a ton of files, total size is about 27 gb. i have a lot of comic zeal files, and goodreader files, so maybe that's what most of the files are

however if i reconnect the same ipad, then right click on my ipad, there is no option to restore from backup. also when i go to edit-preferences-devices in itunes, there's no backups showing

any help here? i'm ultimately trying to backup my ipad 1 and restore to my ipad 2, however neither ipad 1 nor 2 will see the backups...

not sure how to diagnose the problem... any suggestions?

2. Dav1, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

Dav1 macrumors 6502

Two test, for you as no one else seem to have any thoughts...

Let's attempt to isolate where the problem is, the new iPad2 is blank right? I suggest you load goodreader on it and a file or two.. Then attempt to backup the iPad2, check and see if this appears to work. If it does, that suggest the issue is with the iPad1 if it also fails that suggest the issue is with your iTunes.

You don't by any chance have that wirelesss sync program installed do you?

2. Reset Sync History for iPad1
    Resetting your Sync History is a simple step which may resolve some syncing issues. If this works, iTunes will prompt to Merge or Replace the information on your device when you next attempt to sync. To reset your Sync History:

Disconnect your device.
    Open iTunes.
    From the Edit menu, choose Preferences.
    Click the Devices tab.
    Click the Reset Sync History button, and then reconnect your device.
    If this resolves the issue, and you know all of your contacts, calendars, bookmarks and notes are on your computer:

Reset the Sync History again using the steps above.
    Select the device in iTunes and click the Info tab.
    Scroll down to the Advanced section, and under "Replace information on this iPhone/iPad/iPod touch" select Contacts or Calendars.
    Click Apply.

3. Unplug all optional USB devices
    Unplug all USB devices from your computer except for your iOS device, keyboard, and mouse (if needed). Also, if your computer has a card reader, disconnect the card reader from the computer. If your computer has an internal card reader, open the Device Manager, and disable any "USB Mass Storage Device" entries associated with the card reader. Restart (reboot) your computer and test.

4. Do you have a third-party security software program installed?

5. How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

6. About how long does it appear to take to backup your iPad?

3. grither thread starter macrumors newbie

1. i can do a backup and restore from that on the new ipad only, so you're right its prob an ipad1 issue

i don't have wireless synch installed, i'm syncing over a cable

2. i've tried the resent sync history but didn't seem to hlep

3. to be honest i haven't tried, this... maybe i should but i have several usb devices including several hard drives etc... dont' really want to go here yet.

4. i do have comodo and avg installled...

5. this also seems to be an issue for me. i have an ssd as my c drive and its only 80gb. i have about 25gb free and the back needs about 27gb. what i've been doing is disabling the windows paging file prior to any backup in order to have a bit more space, then enabling it after

6. the backup takes about an hour which i think is okay given the size ie about 27gb

4. Dav1 macrumors 6502

I believe #5 is your real problem, 25 GB just isn't enough free space, I think.. You could attempt to varify this by backing up your iPad2 as it is now, and then loading files on it until it has around 25 GB of data on it, my guess is at that point, it to will fail to backup....

As apple only permits you to sync to one computer, I believe you are kind of outof luck...

Have you thought about iFunbox, or WinScp? Either of these would allow you to save an image of the file system on your iPad1, onto one of your external hard drives. At the moment perhaps not directly useful as far as the iPad2 goes, but perhaps useful in the future....

Cydia has a program that I just saw the other day that claims to allow you to sync your device to two computers, by switching music storage location. I'm not really sure how that would play out for you, as I understand it most of your data is not music... However if you have access to another computer that might also be worth a shot if you first use something like WinScp or iFunbox to backup your iPad...

Wish I had a better answer for you....

5. grither thread starter macrumors newbie

i appreciate the time invested in your responses...

yeah i wish itunes would let you control the install directory...every other program i have lets me install to my massive e drive... i only really wanted windows on my c drive, but itunes HAS to be there too, which means the backups need to be there....

i've started to setup my new ipad from scratch, not restoring from old. think it will take a bit more time but might be best anyway as you indicated in other threads!

thanks again

6. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Hmm,

You are aware that iTunes will allow you to choose where it keeps it's storage for videos, music, podcast, ect..., correct? You are right that the backup data base is fixed, but where the bulk of the data goes can indeed be changed. I also run iTunes on a Windows Home Server, that has just a 20 GB hard drive as it's C:\ partition....

7. grither thread starter macrumors newbie

yep exactly... i have every itunes related scrap of data OFF of c drive.... such as music, movies etc... but it insists on storing apps and backups on c....

very lame! i wish i could choose.

but thanks for the clarification