Request, for New 15" Macbook Pro Owners - Run CPU-Z or Equivalent

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kris.K, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Kris.K macrumors newbie

Kris.K

Can someone run CPU-Z or MacCPUid? Thank you!

Preferable Setup to test it on:
    MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2016)
    With the i7-6920HQ

Short Why:
    Long story short, if the timing on the ram is very high then it would explain why the 2016 is much slower than 2015.

Long Why:
    Apple wanted to preserve battery life so they made some compromises at the expense of performance. They have upped the Mhz on the RAM even though Intel says it only officially supports upto 1866Mhz on DDR3, Apple has gone 2133mhz but increased the latency and subsequently slowed down the memory for battery life which has effectively created a bottleneck for the machine.

Reason to think this:
    2015 memory latency GeekBenchmark: 12.5 Moperations/sec
    2016 memory latency GeekBenchmark: 7.64 Moperations/sec

More Reading:
    All the current possible reasons why the 2016 is slower than others.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...n-so-far-and-questions.2015665/#post-23935486

2. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

I ran MacCPUID on my 15" (6820HQ) and it doesn't show anything regarding RAM timings.

3. Kris.K thread starter macrumors newbie

Kris.K

You're awesome!! Thank you, I didn't know it didn't provide it.

Could you try memtest? http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

4. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I believe this is what you are looking for. RAM Timing.PNG CPU Info.PNG

5. Kris.K thread starter macrumors newbie

Kris.K

6. deadworlds macrumors 6502a

deadworlds

I see that the timing on the 2015 are tighter. However the 2016 RAM runs at a faster DRAM frequency, it is my understanding that the faster speed could offset the timing issues, but I'm no expert.

7. Kris.K thread starter macrumors newbie

Kris.K

Thank you man! I have given you thanks in a new thread. I think this may have been the reason why, i've put forth my theory. http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...macbook-pro-2016-is-slower-than-2015.2016640/

And yes the higher Mhz should offset the slower timing but in this case it doesn't.

The 2016 ram is slower. The next Macbook pro will be much faster when they get a better match between CPU and Ram (and power requirements).

8. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

I can try and run memtest to see if that matches up with what CPU-Z shows in Windows. Need to find some time to do it however, may not be today.

9. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

So I was able to run memtest finally. The memory latency reported when the program loaded up was 25.749ns (not sure how important that is) and the speed as 18,425 MB/s. It correctly reported my CPU as the 6820HQ along with all the right cache amounts (and speeds if anyone is curious). I then tried to pick the "View Detailed RAM (SPD) info" option under System Info and it reported that it was unable to gather this information for my device so no luck on timings or anything like that :(

Didn't get to run any tests besides the standard RAM benchmark. It correctly showed it as 2133MHz LPDDR3. My CPU temp was starting to climb at this point (to 91C) and the fans were kicking in so I decided to reboot after that.