Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I realize that everyone wants to posts their own stories, but could we just make one thread. It would limit the amount of essential "plus one" (not literally, but those people that just say 'some problem...') and those on the other side of the aisle. Also it would reduce clutter it allow threads that are actually more pertinent to answers, rather then the constant: look at me I've had five iPhone's replaced because of x, y and z and then x again.

Just my two pennies.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Just about everything posted in the iPhone forum could be merged into a sticky. It still won't make people follow the expectations of posting there. Most people tend to be more concerned about their specific situation, if only because their iPhone has 614 cracks rather than 615 posted by someone else; many tend to feel that all of their specific problems are thread-worthy.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Just about everything posted in the iPhone forum could be merged into a sticky. It still won't make people follow the expectations of posting there. Most people tend to be more concerned about their specific situation, if only because their iPhone has 614 cracks rather than 615 posted by someone else; many tend to feel that all of their specific problems are thread-worthy.

Well... The post that made me think of this was the users the "My Apple Experience, yes another!" Led me to believe that for at least those that are getting there's replaced, if they solely are going to post a story and not really ask a question or anything, it could go in one place.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Well... The post that made me think of this was the users the "My Apple Experience, yes another!" Led me to believe that for at least those that are getting there's replaced, if they solely are going to post a story and not really ask a question or anything, it could go in one place.
Even those that do ask questions, though, could find the answers beaten to death if they would scroll further down on page one, go to page two, or in extreme cases, God forbid, search.

Even in these situations, people probably find that their own story is thread worthy because it's their story. Even if you clean up the iPhone forum, you're left with exactly what was there before: rants, iPhone sucks compared to xxx phone, zomg will apple replace my phone, where can I buy an iPhone for $199 without a contract, etc.

There are just too many topics that are eligible to be stickied in that forum that even if there were more organization, it wouldn't help those with new [technical] questions because nobody has the answer anyway. I tried to ask a question about foreign keyboards with my alphanumeric password that's on my required profile with my work phone, and I only got replies like "you can't have an alphanumeric password noob. only 4 number lololololol"

I agree with your intention to clean it up, but I don't think that it would work as too many people think that they are too important to post to a thread that someone else started. Making a long thread just opens the doors for tangents and arguments to derail the thread from being organized, which doesn't help very much in the forum where some people find themselves so important. Skil is right: it has already been posted. But that doesn't mean that everyone is going to forget the "new thread" button just because it's happening to themselves and not some other person on the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.