Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Hope this isn't frowned upon here, but I haven't been able to find a Mac I can use PwnageTool on and I need to update my phone asap. If possible, could an established poster here with a Mac and PwnageTool make me a 3.1.2 firmware .ipsw with the following specifications?:

• UNACTIVATED (I already have official service through AT&T)
  • 650mb root partition
  • Cydia and Icy
  • This image for the boot logo (original restore logo):
    24682321.png
Rapidshare and PM is fine, or whatever other method works. Much thanks to whoever is able to help me out.

justinwebb

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2009
just look on torrent sites or just google what you need i am sure there is a link out there somewhere. Or if you are computer savvy you can dual boot your pc with os x like i do and technically have a mac lol for things like this

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
just look on torrent sites or just google what you need i am sure there is a link out there somewhere. Or if you are computer savvy you can dual boot your pc with os x like i do and technically have a mac lol for things like this

One of these days I will try doing this on my Dell XPS 400. Hopefully you can do this on a Windows XP machine. Might need more horsepower.

justinwebb

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2009
One of these days I will try doing this on my Dell XPS 400. Hopefully you can do this on a Windows XP machine. Might need more horsepower.

just google your model and there will more then likely be a guide on which software to use. I used to dual boot xp and os x now i dual boot win 7 and os x :) i love it hackintosh FTW

NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
to do that would be distributing copyrighted material which is not allowed here

Yeah, figured that might be the case, but then again the iPhone firmware can be freely downloaded through iTunes so I didn't think it'd be that big of a deal.

I don't like the idea of downloading my firmware off some random website, as common as it seems to be for a lot of people (I'm not crazy about the idea of getting some random person off a forum to make one for me, either, but I'm out of options until the Dev Team sees fit to help us Windows users out). But I might have to eventually settle for that. Won't be able to get my custom boot logo and root partition size, though, obviously. :(

Not really interested in installing OSX on my comp just for this, either.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Yeah, figured that might be the case, but then again the iPhone firmware can be freely downloaded through iTunes so I didn't think it'd be that big of a deal.

It is legal for me to download the official .ipsw from Apple, it is legal to create a tool to create a modified version, and it is legal to use such a tool to create such a file. It is not legal to re-distribute it to a third party. That Apple offers it for free download does not change the fact that it is copyrighted.

NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
It is legal for me to download the official .ipsw from Apple, it is legal to create a tool to create a modified version, and it is legal to use such a tool to create such a file. It is not legal to re-distribute it to a third party. That Apple offers it for free download does not change the fact that it is copyrighted.

Understood. Honestly, I don't really care so much myself about whatever copyrights apply to the firmware, as Apple has made it clear they would make it illegal for users to jailbreak at all if they could. And they've made every effort to prevent users from doing what they choose to do with their own phones. That said, I respect the administrators' stance on this here.

Thanks for the link btw, Applejuiced; I eventually just ended up downloading an ipsw from that site once I finally got rapidshare to work. I'll be upgrading soon, hopefully everything should go okay (fingers crossed).

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006

Apple can distribute their own material. Others may not. Regardless of how freely Apple distributes it.

ItlnSoldier86

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2009
tethering with the 3.1.2 update

Hey guys, I'm a new user to this forum and I was just wondering if someone could help me out. I have tethering now but i want to update my phone so i can get the MMS. I guess I have two questions. First, is there a way to get mms put on my iphone 3G without updating it. Second, is there a way to go ahead and update my Iphone and then put the Tethering back on? Can anyone tell me the steps I need to take? Thanks!

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Hey guys, I'm a new user to this forum and I was just wondering if someone could help me out. I have tethering now but i want to update my phone so i can get the MMS. I guess I have two questions. First, is there a way to get mms put on my iphone 3G without updating it. Second, is there a way to go ahead and update my Iphone and then put the Tethering back on? Can anyone tell me the steps I need to take? Thanks!

You will have to update and jailbreak and then install either blacksn0w or one of the other tethering fixes available in Cydia, then install a mobile carrier file. There are already plenty of threads on each of these topics; start with the sticky threads at the top of this page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.