Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
thanks for the great info! Was also wondering if the temp stay constant at idle? or does it creep up, fans kick in until cooled, then start that cycle over again?

Any way you could monitor the rpms during those tasks you just described?

appreciate your help on this. My current laptop goes through a really annoying fan/cooling cycle and gets kinda loud.

thanks so much

Dan

Now that you mention it I never noticed the fans kicking in. I have iStat running with the fan speed tracking enabled. It seems odd that I didn't notice fan noise. My Blackbook fans get real loud under full load. Under normal usage it stays below 45C without fans.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
2.8 and 3.06 will get the same battery life. They have the same power consumption. If anything, the 3.06 would have better battery life because a task that put the 2.8 at 100% full load will draw 35W but the same task which puts the 3.06 at 90% load will draw maybe around 31W. Get what I'm saying?
Yes, basically you're right. But there's a chance 3.06Ghz and 2.8Ghz to have same potential (I mean 2.8 one will use lower voltage).
That is 3.06 @ 90% = 2.8 @ 100% = 31W.

TDP is for whole lineup and with established techological process you don't have to pick up better CPU's for making them 3.06Ghz. All CPU will be equal so slower models will have actual power consumtion lower than TDP.

earthdan

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Sorry to bump again, but would someone with a new 2.8 mind doing a battery test?

Any info regarding the battery life would be much appreciated,

cheers!

Dan

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2008
Sorry to bump again, but would someone with a new 2.8 mind doing a battery test?

Any info regarding the battery life would be much appreciated,

cheers!

Dan

Mine lasts 5-7 hours depending on what I'm doing and the brightness of the screen. 8 hour on med-low brightness and browsing.

I think even if you try to murder the battery (movies, download, high brightness, music, etc) it will still last more than 4 hours, which is incredible. No one should have to worry about not being able to watch a 2.5 hour movie on a full charge, ever again.

earthdan

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Mine lasts 5-7 hours depending on what I'm doing and the brightness of the screen. 8 hour on med-low brightness and browsing.

I think even if you try to murder the battery (movies, download, high brightness, music, etc) it will still last more than 4 hours, which is incredible. No one should have to worry about not being able to watch a 2.5 hour movie on a full charge, ever again.

That is absolutely amazing battery life! I was concerned that maybe the 35 W tdp on the t9600 would give out some more heat and less battery life, but this thread has definitely assuaged my worries.

kudos to all,

cheers

iAlex

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2006
FEMA District X
Mcnugget Books? Parts are Parts?

HAHAHAHA what are these? McNugget Books? Parts are Parts! Throw a T9600 in here, and SATA 1 over there.... Brrrrack! PARTS are PARTS!!! 35W TDP you're kidding! Like the G4 windtunnels people will be calling these things..... FRY-BOOKS from all the heat. Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTzLVIc-O5E Someone dub in pics of the NEW FRY-BOOKS with the audio.

--

earthdan

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
HAHAHAHA what are these? McNugget Books? Parts are Parts! Throw a T9600 in here, and SATA 1 over there.... Brrrrack! PARTS are PARTS!!! 35W TDP you're kidding! Like the G4 windtunnels people will be calling these things..... FRY-BOOKS from all the heat. Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTzLVIc-O5E Someone dub in pics of the NEW FRY-BOOKS with the audio.

--

So....what are you saying here?

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
got the t is there anything i can do to get the p from apple?

Maybe they will run out of the T's (since they are a bit older) and throw in the P's instead?

I wonder how long this would take....

I think it's been mentioned a few times but that's not possible because Apple used Ball socket processors that are soldered to the logic board like most laptops. Those P series don't come in the ball socket only pin socket.

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think it's been mentioned a few times but that's not possible because Apple used Ball socket processors that are soldered to the logic board like most laptops. Those P series don't come in the ball socket only pin socket.

The P series is made in BGA, just not the P9700 in particular. At least not yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.