Request to MacRumors: Add more Moderators

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by celticpride678, Jul 13, 2009.

1. celticpride678

Mac Rumors is a growing forum site (by the day) and I believe, needs more people looking over things. Right now (at time of posting), there is only one moderator signed in and clearly that is not enough. If Mac Rumors would require at least five mods be signed in at one time and take in maybe 20 more mods, things might run more smoother. Any ideas?

2. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Here's an idea I posted just a couple of days ago.

"I've thought for ages that MR needs a yellow/red card system. Instead of being banned, the user gets a yellow card (which sits next to their name for all to see). Two yellows and you only have one more chance before you get a red and get banned.

Surely that would encourage politeness and helpfulness?"

I think there's a load of really rude people on here and it's a great shame.

But I also think mods need to hold back a little in other areas - they're often far too quick to delete posts and ban people for simply expressing a view.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There are plenty of moderators. Even if there's only one currently signed in, this is also the slowest part of the day I'd imagine (early morning on the US East Coast, very early morning on the US west coast). Besides, if you report a post a moderator will see it within a couple hours or two.

Just seems like an unnecessary extra step, in my humble opinion.

Welcome to the internet.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Just because you see only one mod signed in doesn't mean there is only one mod signed in.

What do you mean by:

With 5000+ posts a day there is no way the mods can read all of them, therefore we rely on the report post feature. Currently the post reports are dealt with in a timely matter. If you feel that more mods are needed, report the posts and they will be dealt with.

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd be interested to see why you think we currently don't have enough. If it's due to certain post reports feel free to use the Contact Us link instead of via this thread. Keep in mind we probably won't comment on a specific instance of moderation but I'd be more than happy to revisit them. All the currently sent in post reports have been handled. Very rarely do I come to the site to see more than 5-10 waiting in the queue and they have only been sitting at most an hour or two. I'm sure on occasion you'll find the rare exception but it happens.

Also keep in mind that just because a post report is sent in, it doesn't mean action will be taken. We generally try to be consistent but sometimes posts fall into a gray area. For those we might discuss for a bit as generally those posts don't need to be modified ASAP anyway.

Some of us are set to invisible (just as any other user is free to do) and won't show up as being online either. I switch back and forth sometimes for various reasons.

As xUKHCx said, reporting the posts is the most helpful. If you over-report... we'll let you know. Otherwise keep em coming! Especially for the next few hours... I'm heading out! SEE YA! :)

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

The only views that might get someone banned are personal attacks on other members. Just because you didn't see the offensive post doesn't mean we banned the person for the posts that remain visible. We try to always delete or edit out the insults.

Just because no moderators are listed as online doesn't mean we can't respond in seconds if a post gets reported (we sense a disturbance in the force). Most post reports stay open only for a matter of minutes. While there are times when fewer moderators are around (and the wait time for closing posts increases), these are also the times when fewer members are around and fewer reports.

Moderators and Admins also frequently warn members who commit offensives that we feel do not rise to the level of banning. We prefer to keep these warnings private though, and don't think public shaming would make this a more welcoming place.

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I think the Mods do a great job as it is, and I'm not kissing butt, seeing as I've had a warning and a time-out before. While it would be nice to see a few more mods, I think the current ones do a fine job with the man-power they have.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Which is lunchtime in Europe, and the evening in the far East. Especially with the former I'm sure its fairly busy then ;).

There is a whole world out there apart from the US.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

:) I was going to say the very same thing. Well, probably not as eloquently but the point was similar.

I am not sure if the statement was made that if you really feel personally attacked then you need to contact a mod or an admin. I generally see these type of forum feedback posts by people who were recently attacked or they believed the were attacked (I speak from experience). So if this is happening to you or you believe someone is being attacked then perhaps you can report them.

I think with the new mods they still have the new mod glow and it's serving MR just fine.

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Didn't we have this discussion last month? And the month before that. And the month before...

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Yes and Yes.

The mods here are doing great for a website with the kind of traffic it gets.

And as a mod said. Just because they show as being offline does not mean they are offline. It means they don't want to be seen as online.

I do it in perpetuity.:D

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I am aware of that, considering I live in Switzerland. I am also assuming that a very large portion of MR members live in the US, which is hardly unreasonable.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

While new mods were recently added, they replaced mods who were inactive so there was really no net gain. Now that all mods are pretty active, the moderation has improved a lot.

In fact, they get to threads too quickly sometimes. :p

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Inactive mods being replaced with active mods means there was net gain in the number of mod hours as it were.

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's a fun little game I like to call "Does my forum spy update faster than rdowns?". I think we're neck and neck!

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you report the problem, it will be dealt with in a timely manner.

Just don't expect moderators to go through every post in every thread, in every forum, because even if there were 100 mods, I don't think that would happen as effectively as you think.

However, if you report it, then it doesn't matter if none of the mods post regularly in a subsubforum, since it'll be seen anyway.

Not reporting a problem post is analogous to not reporting crimes to the police, and yet expecting them (as a collective) to cover every inch of the city on an hourly basis, including crimes that occur within buildings (the subforums and subsubforums). It's not possible, so be a good MR citizen and report report report. :)

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

MR does has a yellow/red card system; it's call infraction points; I think the card system is for phpBB. Anyways, if you get enough infraction points you will get banned. I don't know what the limit on MR is, but the system is there.

18. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

While this is a possible functionality of VBulletin, even if you get a billion infraction points you won't get banned. Well, let me rephrase that... you probably would but we don't have the software auto-ban people based off a point system.

19. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

So, you're saying there aren't many moderators online at peak-time in Europe. Excellent... (rubs hands together, evililly)

About time to post my naked, drunken "how to pirate OSX and crack Mac websites" tutorial. In the wrong forum. Muhahahah..

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Anybody want a "Fireshot91 For mod- '09" bumper sticker? ;).

Just joking, that is, unless you consider it.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i dont like soccer

22. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It's alright, they use them in canoe polo too.

Folk can be put in Time Out for varying lengths of time, essentially that's a bit like yellow card (getting a card of that colour in canoe polo earns you a temporary suspension as well, in fact). I don't think there's any need to go putting icons or stuff to show they've had a warning, as others have said public naming and shaming isn't really the way to go about this sort of thing.

23. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

A good degree of moderation is usage of the name itself ("moderation").

Basically, the moderators here were chosen because they showed a certain amount of intelligence and maturity in their attitude here, which is used in pouring oil onto stormy waters in threads that might go off the rails. In these circumstances, there's no need for "mod powers" above simple tact and diplomacy.

In other cases, everyone here has mod powers in the use of the "report post" button. If you see a problem, hit the button. You'll never be banned for trying to help out. Mod can't see each and every thread, but they do see each and every reported post.

Simply put, the forum can't be effectively moderated without the help and co-operation of the vast majority of the members here.