Request to update profile

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jimmason, Jun 23, 2014.

1. jimmason, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

jimmason macrumors newbie

Hi guys
    I got an email in my inbox this morning supposedly from Apple , it looked official but not sure, anyway they are asking me to go to a link and update my profile as they have been unable to verify certain things? and will de-activate my account if not done, it opens by greeting me Dear member? does this look / sound like a spam / phasing email, has any one else had one through there email box from Apple

cheers
    screen shot of email message:

Dear Customer,

We recently failed to validate your account information we hold on record for you, therefore we need to ask you to complete a brief validation process in order to verify your account.

Click here to verify your account

Failure to complete our validation process will result in a suspension of your Apple ID.

We take every step needed to automatically validate our users, unfortunately in this case we were unable to verify your details. The process will only take a couple of minutes and will allow us to maintain our high standard of account security.

Wondering why you got this email?

This email was sent automatically during routine security checks. We are not completely satisfied with your account information and require you to update your account to continue using our services uninterrupted.

For more information, see our FAQ.

Thanks,
    Apple Customer Service

Copyright © 2014 Apple Inc. Apple Inc., Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014 Company Registration number: 15719. VAT number: IE6554690W.

2. simsaladimbamba

Post the link, but it sounds highly suspicious.

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

NOOOOOOOOOOO, don't even think about it.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

This is 100% a "phishing" attempt to get gullible people to follow their link and provide personal details such as bank or credit card information. It is NOT from Apple, they just want to steal your money or identity, and nothing will happen if you ignore them.

If ever in doubt about something like this, call the organization on the phone via an independently published / known-to-be-good phone number and ask. i.e. don't use a phone number listed in the email and don't google for a phone number. :D

5. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Always delete any similar emails from any source. That's the definition of a phishing attempt.

6. blanka macrumors 68000

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

actually, I wouldn't follow any links in suspected spam. Too high a chance of it leading to a site trying to inject something into your computer. While macs are typically less susceptible than windows systems there's no reason to temp fate.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Agreed. Total scam.

OP>> Hover your mouse over the links in the email (don't click) and you will be able to see the URL of the link. I guarantee you none of them will be at apple.com.