Requesting advice - MBA crashing and expiring Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by The WOPR, Jun 13, 2015.

1. The WOPR macrumors newbie

My MBA is experiencing crashes. Sometimes it is a kernel crash that displays "your computer restarted because of a problem". In other instances the whole system simply freezes requiring a hard power off. Here's my dilemma:

I've taken it to the genius bar twice already and reported this same problem. It has not been fixed, although some other issues were (the first time they replaced a bad microphone, and the second time they replaced a speaker which they broke after the first repair). Nothing was done for the crashing issues and they recommended I upgrade to yosemite. I did that, and my computer has crashed 4 times this week, which is even worse than before.

I've had over four weeks of being without a computer due to Applecare repairs on this machine. Now I feel like I'm getting blown off because my Applecare coverage expires in a few days. I have another appointment the day before my warranty expires hoping the third time will be a charm for them to fix it.

Given that I only have a few days of warranty left is there any way I can escalate this issue? Would phone/chat be better than going back to the store again?

2. MacBoook160 macrumors 6502

My experience - with phones at least - is that if the issue was reported before the expiration of the warranty, if they have not yet fixed it at expiration, they are still on the hook to do so. I think you should call and try to elevate it to a supervisor on the phone, expressing how often you've gone to the store, and that you've done everything they've suggested thus far, with no success.

I'd also reiterate - nicely, of course - that this ongoing problem started a while back; I think if you have dates/occurrences on hand, that will also help the process.

Don't give up! and good luck.

3. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Call Applecare rather then going into an Apple store. They will help.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Call Applecare and explain your issues. Be calm but firm that you have serious concerns that you will have problems with your machine after your Applecare expires. Do not hesitate to ask to speak to a supervisor if your questions are not being answered satisfactorily. As I stated, do this calmly. Being aggressive will get you nowhere fast. Have all your documentation in front of you so that you can be specific about times and dates of previous repairs and time you have lost. If you can state your case clearly, Apple will listen and respond. This will put the onus on Apple as well to remedy the situation correct for you.

I have been in a similar situation and achieved good results from Apple. Apple is there to help you and will make it right. I would be shocked if they did not.