Requesting Advice on Avid Workstation

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tomv16, Dec 28, 2013.

1. tomv16 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone- I've lurked for a long time here but never posted. I have to make a purchase before the end of the year and am in pretty desperate need of advice for the right configuration of a new Mac Pro.

I'm going to be using it primarily for Avid off-line editing. I work in documentaries so I will be working with very long sequences. Also will be doing After Effects and Photoshop work on it. No 3D work.

I'm assuming that the 6-core will be more than adequate. I'm also assuming that 64 gigs of RAM will probably be worth it. Big question is about the graphics card. Are the D700s overkill given that I'm not going to be doing 3D rendering? Also, is 64 Gigs of RAM overkill?

I know that Avid as it is currently configured isn't going to take advantage of this new machine but I'm trying to anticipate the software a year from now. Advice will be GREATLY appreciated.
    Thanks so much!

2. prfrma macrumors regular

Media Composer recommends Nvidia GPU's atm, though AMD cards are supported - whether they provide GPU acceleration I have no idea, but it would be silly to reduce what would be the majority of your computational power especially when you use Adobe Suite.

I don't know about Avid, but I'd frequently maxed out ram on my 32gb machine with After Effects and Photoshop - they tent to use as much as you have available, especially when your working in higher colour depths.

I'd also recommend an 8 core system as that turbo boosts to the same core per ghz as the 6 and 4 cores.

3. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Avid provides recommended configs on their website, they'll definitely add the nMP on it next year, FYI mavericks isn't supported yet, so everybody would e guessing.

I'd get the most powerful you could afford, personally for Avid and abit of Adobe I'd save the cash and get similar to what you said, 6core, D300 and 32 gb of ram

4. handsome pete macrumors 68000

You could probably get an alternative opinion over on the Avid boards, but one of the Avid techs we had in a week or so ago said he was excited to see how it performs especially once it supports AMD GPU acceleration. So it was implied that's coming. Truth be told though, the software needs an entire rewrite and that's not coming any time soon.

5. raw911 macrumors regular

Can I ask you if your after effects is working ok using mavericks. I just started back using AE CS5 and I've been getting this error. And it only started when I switched to mavericks. Is there an update for AE that you know of?

Thx

6. prfrma macrumors regular