Requesting an iOS dev to code this easy app

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by The New iPad, Dec 6, 2012.

1. The New iPad, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

The New iPad macrumors regular

Hello.

The app's functionality is minimal. The app notifies you with a sound and lockscreen notification when you choose.

The app should:

be open source
    alert you with sound on lockscreen (or anywhere else)
    have a configurable sound in the source code to accommodate any sound file (limited to eligible file types)
    have a message on the alert that is typed in by the user in the app
    have a user-configured timer that tells the app to alert after every x seconds/minutes have passed in the app
    have a start/stop button to start or stop the functionality of the app
    continue to run even if it has been killed in the multitasking bar

I have never coded iOS but I have in other languages not Obj-C so I will be able to check for bugs on my own if you only want to cobble something together without much attention to detail. Thank you.

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Sounds like the "clock" app on iPad ... Not open source though.

I don't really understand what you want ? An tutorial for development ? Please help me to understand.

3. The New iPad thread starter macrumors regular

Hi. Pardon my briefness but I'm on my phone typing this. I need a deb to write an app that has the above functionality and be open source so that I may learn. Hope this clears things up.

4. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

Ha, so you want a dev to spend a few days to a week so you can peruse some code to learn? :p

Anyway, the app you request is not possible (at least without a jailbreak.) You can't have the app still running when you terminate it. An ios app does not receive a notification of the screen locking, only the general case of entering the background, resigning active, or terminating. I would think you would need deeper access than what iOS offers in sandbox, so again it would only work jailbroken.

5. The New iPad thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think this is days of work. This is something you'd cobble together for a class assignment. You are wrong. In the case of twitter notifications/facebook messages, etc., if the app is closed you will obviously still be able to get your alerts. Same with alarm apps.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

You get notifications from a backend server in case of twitter/FB. That's different from forking an app into background like in Unix or JB. And Apple alarm program has the advantage of not need to follow App Store rules.

Tried Google or any of the tutorials provided from Apple ? They are a good source to learn.

7. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

Like christian said, you get notifications based on a server response. Apple does not reveal a method that notifies an app when the screen locks.