Requesting recommendation on FREE Clean-MacBook-Air software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mimitam, Jan 23, 2012.

1. mimitam macrumors newbie

Can anyone give me a recommendation on the best FREE MacBook Air clean-up software?

On a separate note:

I have a MacBookAir3,1, 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. How can I tell (i.e. where to look for) if I have a 32 bit or 64 bit machine?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    How to tell if your Intel-based Mac has a 32-bit or 64-bit processor

3. coops macrumors regular

Just as the post above and link shows, you don't need any free (or otherwise) maintenance app on your Mac...

I do have 'Applejack' installed for very occasional use on startup, and you can take a look at it... as the review below states : "AppleJack can be extremely useful to have in the right situation"

http://download.cnet.com/AppleJack/3000-2094_4-40293.html