General requesting refund for app purchased?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dapitts08, Feb 15, 2013.

1. dapitts08 macrumors regular

does anyone know how to go about this?

i just purchased protube 2 and it is not working....

apparently the developer knows and will fix it next week but i would prefer not to wait in limbo....

i'll repurchase again once there is a fix...

2. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

contact the developer

3. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Be patient! If the developer is actively working on it then the fix should be out soon. If you have to get your $1.99 back then contact the developer.

4. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

I tried to contact Saurik once to try to get a refund via paypal and never received a response. I simply put a dispute into paypal and he never responded so I won the case and my refund back.

5. dapitts08 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah...because you go to store and buy stuff that doesn't work?

like i said ..i'll buy it again once i it is working but i don't make a habit of purchasing stuff that doesn't work...no matter the small amount...

----------

that is what i ended up doing, contacting saurik...

thanks...i will also put in my paypal dispute

6. Brian Y macrumors 68040

May as well just put in a paypal dispute. You won't get a response to a refund request.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You're going to cost Saurik money if you do that. For most apps his cut barely covers transaction fees, and you're asking him to make three transactions for a single purchase. This is not some distant corporation you're dealing with, it's people in our community who put in hundreds of hours making these tweaks and providing a platform for you to purchase them. I think you could show a little patience to help them out.

8. LoloBond macrumors 6502

that's the only way to get a refund from cydia...

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Seriously? There is no point in putting in a paypal dispute over $2.00 if you are just going to rebuy it in a week.

I support the notion there should be some return system in place in both cydia and the apple app store, for buggy or non-working apps, but you are causing so much trouble for you and everyone else over a paltry sum which you plan to spend again in a short time.

Put in the dispute if you definitely don't want it. Otherwise just wait. You probably won't even get a response by then.

10. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Especially for such a trivial amount as $2 and with a fix arriving next week. The PayPal dispute resolution process takes at least 2 weeks to resolve, depending on how responsive the other party is. The app will be fixed before he has a refund.

11. dapitts08 thread starter macrumors regular

for all of you acting like i shouldn't request a refund -

where is the accountability on the developer to indicate that the app does not work?

like i said i bought this TODAY .....

with the developer full aware that it doesn't work...

shouldn't that be indicated on the buying page?

if that was there then i would not have purchased.

so don't be giving me stuff about fees and such...

how is that my problem?

yall are crazy ...

12. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Well, then, as many of us have recommended, contact the developer and/or file a dispute with Paypal. If I were you, I would just wait patiently as the developer has already acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix.

13. dapitts08 thread starter macrumors regular

oh that was done early this morning after the suggestion above...

i was just responding to folks getting all up in arms about it

14. saurik, Feb 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2013

saurik macrumors newbie

FWIW, I don't mind if someone files a dispute; in fact, sending a refund as a response to a dispute (I believe even when the dispute is ignored and "lost") is actually cheaper than filing a refund out of the blue, for reasons I don't claim to understand: if you don't get a response from me regarding a refund (and I do often respond to those, although like, right now, picking apart those e-mails is fairly difficult), and if the developer won't give you a refund (which he now has the ability to do himself using the Cydia backend portal), there is no harm in filing a dispute: I don't argue with them on purpose (unless you act like a jerk in the message text and I notice, but you have to be pretty jerk-ish to make me bother ;P) so you get your money back.

That said, if you are filing a refund now and intend to re-purchase it later, that is kind of sketchy, and frankly if Cydia lets you repurchase it at that time, I consider it a low-priority bug (but one I would happily believe that Cydia currently has, as I keep making improvements to the way it detects things like refunds, and thereby may have made it "too good"; it certainly used to be the case that this was disallowed, though): if you get a refund on a product, you aren't supposed to be allowed to buy it again unless you manage to get someone to go out of their way to "clear the previous payment". You really should only be asking for a refund because you don't want the product: not because you temporarily want your $2 back, as described by this person here; the payment mechanism isn't some kind of fluid back/forth transfer system: it should only be used with serious intent.

Regardless, I agree: this product should not be on sale if it doesn't work. I think it is unacceptable that the developer is just all "yeah, it doesn't work, I'll be back in a week" without contacting myself or the repository to put a sales block on the non-functional product. We just tested it, and it in fact doesn't work. (We would have done this sooner, but surprisingly, despite over a thousand recent purchases, there have only been 3 complaints, and those would easily be explainable by local network issues.) That sucks.

So, I've blocked the product from further purchases (which also leaves a note on the depiction saying the product doesn't work, for anyone who already owns it wondering what is up), and this developer is going to be getting a very unhappy e-mail from me, and probably also from his repository (who will probably be even angrier than me, knowing them). I'm also going to be sending everyone who bought the product in the last few days an e-mail later today containing an automated way (a URL they can click) for them to receive a refund, if they want one. Trust me: I do not consider this at all a reasonable state of affairs, and you really shouldn't ever be in the situation where you are buying something that the developer knows doesn't work. :(

15. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Question Saurik:

I emailed you for a refund on Auxo and Zephyr because I decided to remove the jailbreak and go back to stock (I jailbroke that morning and went back to stock same day). Would that be a legitimate request? And should I also use Paypal for this?

Don't really care about the money anyway and I'll consider it a donation if the answer is negative, but was just wondering.

16. dapitts08 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks saurik for your reply.

i appreciate it.

i just want to be clear that the only reason i put in the paypal dispute was because posters in this thread indicated that from their prior experience i wouldn't get a response via cydia. prior to them stating that i did in fact send an email to you guys with my refund request.

again, thanks for taking the time to respond and blocking it from further purchases until it is indeed working again.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Great response by Saurik and thank you for stopping by our forum to clear this up for the OP.
    Issues like that will come up with many packages sold on cydia and with the limited amount of time one Man has to handle millions of users requests with JB devices. But its the way that they are handled and the honesty and integrity behind Cydia that makes me proud being part of the JB community.

----------

Lets say you bought a bunch of apps from the appstore and then a few days later you decide to sell your iphone and buy an android.
    Would you then ask Apple for your money back or try to dispute the charges with Paypal?
    That's pretty messed up if you ask me even asking if its cool. It should be common sense to most.
    And no, its not a legit reason or request since both those packages work fine with a JB iphone on ios 6.
    What you decide to do after with your iphone has nothing to do with the purchase you made and wether you will use it or not.
    Give the devs a break and stop acting like that. Its pretty embarrassing IMO.

18. taedouni macrumors 65816

You're the best. I'm one of those recent buyers. I think that I'm just going to use the regular Protube app since that isn't dependent on Youtube's API

19. saurik macrumors newbie

When I saw this question, I almost said "wow, someone asked about that just a few days ago, and yes: I gave him those refunds"; however, it turns out to be you, and it turns out you hadn't gotten the refunds for some reason (maybe you were one of those e-mails I had open when my client crashed a few days ago). I went ahead and did that now.

(Also, I just sent out e-mails to everyone who bought this product in the last few days with URLs that automatically give refunds if you click them. I am curious to see how this goes ;P.)

20. Cptnodegard macrumors 6502

TBH, selling products that promise a fix in X days is not a problem compared to what else is going on in Cydia. Some issues I've noticed lately:

• Some new type of ad that looks like a youtube video that belongs to the app being sold
    • Apps that promise iOS 5+ compatibility, with no way of knowing if that's an old message referring to iOS 5.1
    • Apps that don't say a word about iPad compatibility
    • Weirdness in the compatibility check system. Sometimes it gives a "not compatible" warning right in the description, other times trying to install the app brings up the device incompatibility screen, and then you have apps that install but still don't work
    • Inability to buy more than one app at a time (unless I've missed something). Wish I could "fill up" a Cydia account with paypal cash

IMO, a proper compatibility system needs to be put in place and take priority over silly refunds for $2.

21. adnbek, Feb 16, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

No. I think there should be a set limit of time where one can ask for such a thing. If I bought an iPhone and returned it same-day, maybe it wouldn't be so unreasonable, no. If I kept it a few days, at that point probably not. I realize that the question of how much time must pass is a highly subjective one and even I don't know the answer to it.

That's the problem with digital content in general. With real tangible objects, there is such a thing as a return policy. Imagine a world were such a thing didn't exist. If I buy a phone, TV or other real-world object, I have the option to return it if I change my mind within a reasonable amount of time after purchase of course. Would you be happy if such an option didn't exist?

Keep in mind I installed the jailbreak at 8am, and had gone back to stock by late afternoon. Not even half a day went by. Now again, is it right to ask for a refund in such a case? I don't know. Again, I was just asking and if the answer was no, I would leave it be and not argue about it.

But I do think the shift to digital media does make these kind of situations more complex. Any "online" content cannot be reimbursed or resold, unlike real-world things. I used to resell console games I was done with, instead of just letting them gather dust for nothing. Same goes for any of my possessions I didn't need or didn't want. I'd either give away or resell. That stuff ain't possible with digital media. Which kinda sucks if you ask me. As a result, a restrictive form of return policy should be implemented. Of course, unlike real objects, the time frames involved or percentage of amount refunded (full refund or just partial) would probably need to be lower to avoid abuse.

I'd say a combination of both could work. Example: If a request for refund is made within 12hrs, a full refund is granted. Within 24hrs, 50% refund. Beyond that, no requests accepted. Something of the sort.

And believe me, I have a ton of apps on my iPhone/iPad that I either regretted buying and if there were a 1hr, 6hr or 12hr trial period (and such a thing is technically possible, just not implemented) where you could cancel the order and delete those apps, I would have. Of course, if it were apps that I made use beyond a certain amount of time, no question about it that I would have no right to ask nor would I even think of asking. I have a ton of games and apps I no longer use today, which were all paid for. Don't care about the fact I don't use or need them anymore. I've spent at least $200 or more on apps so it's not a question of not wanting to pay for content if I made use of them beyond a certain amount of time.

But again, there should be an option to get your money back under certain circumstances when it comes to digital media. Believe it or not, it's the same reasoning that makes me abhor pirating. I see no difference between tangible goods and digital goods. Often, I see arguments on this very forum about pirating and the common argument given is that digital goods are different than physical goods and I can't help but shake my head at such flawed reasoning. With that same logic, I believe consumers should be given the same rights and recourse regardless of whether they are buying something material or not, under certain conditions.

----------

Thank you Saurik! It's much appreciated. Excellent customer service on your part I must say.

22. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

MOD NOTE

Open. Let's try and keep this on-topic.

23. lukejc1 macrumors 6502

A fix was released. It works for me now on ios 6.1 iphone 5