Require Overnight Charge Before Use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jason.siegel, Oct 13, 2011.

1. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

I should be getting a 4S tomorrow. I've never had an iPhone, and I'm wondering if the battery works best if I charge it for 24 hours—or at least overnight—before using it. If so, can I still use it when plugged in?

Thanks

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

From my experience in iPods and other phones, it should be mostly charged when you receive it. Just run the battery all the way down the first time, and then charge it :) Better that way I think.

3. re2st macrumors regular

That's an old wives tale. Use it as soon as you receive it. Charge it when it's needed.

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

The iPhone will be charged when it arrive and you can use it right away. But, it's always smart to charge it to max the same day.

5. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Why is that smart?

6. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

It used to be, and some people claim it still helps

Truth is, modern li-ion batteries come pre-calibrated. It used to be you had to charge it to full right away because the battery "learns" what it's max is this way. That should already have been done when you get the phone

7. bender999 macrumors newbie

Not exactly and old wives tale, just outdated. Older tech rechargeable batteries like Ni-Cad had "storage memory" issues and lasted longer when used and charged properly.

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Too bad iPhones aren't older tech. :)

9. steve dave macrumors 6502a

This is what I thought. I just thought I was missing something.

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Like the others said, it will likely be 80-90+% when you remove it from the box. This may or may not get you thru the end of your day so charge it some while playing if you wish!

There are no set rules and people's advice will be all over the place.

In the end there is really nothing you can do to greatly affect your battery except running it to dead. These batteries are very forgiving but dislike running it to dead.

Just charge it a night and RELAX! Obsessing about your battery will ruin the fun! Just use it and enjoy!:p

11. fiveainone macrumors 6502a

If you buy your phone at the Apple store, the rep will actually open and turn it on right away, and activate it for you before you leave the store.

12. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502