Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vjmacaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
California
How can I require a password before emptying the Trash? My roommate had one of my important documents in the Trash!! Good thing he didn't empty the Trash, like he has a quick habit of doing!!!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...the simplest way is to have separate user accounts - when he empties *his* trash it does not affect yours - and if you've got your stuff in your Home folder he should not be able to access it at all....oh yeah!

vjmacaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
California
Password Empty Trash ??

Creating a separate account for my roommate is not an option! He is a PC person, and the only computers in my home are all Apples and Macs!!!! From the Apple IIgs, 512K3, Classic II, LC II, SE, SE/30s (four still working perfectly, and one with 128MB of RAM!!!), PowerBook 5300c, G3 B&W (dead), PowerMac 7300/500 (G3 upgrade!!), G4 iBook .....

I tried creating a separate account for my boys, but it was too much of a hassle. So, I need to set a password for emptying the Trash. That way, I don't have to worry about the wrong files being emptied.

There must be a way to set a password for emptying the Trash??

Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...the simplest way is to have separate user accounts - when he empties *his* trash it does not affect yours - and if you've got your stuff in your Home folder he should not be able to access it at all....oh yeah!

C

CompUser

Why don't you just tell him to get his own computer and not to touch yours.

:) :) :) ;) ;) ;)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
WTF?

Short of beating your roommate...the EASIEST solution is to make a different user account. You really think setting up a user account is all that difficult? It takes about 30 seconds...

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
vjmacaddict said:
Creating a separate account for my roommate is not an option! He is a PC person, and the only computers in my home are all Apples and Macs!!!! From the Apple IIgs, 512K3, Classic II, LC II, SE, SE/30s (four still working perfectly, and one with 128MB of RAM!!!), PowerBook 5300c, G3 B&W (dead), PowerMac 7300/500 (G3 upgrade!!), G4 iBook .....

I tried creating a separate account for my boys, but it was too much of a hassle. So, I need to set a password for emptying the Trash. That way, I don't have to worry about the wrong files being emptied.

There must be a way to set a password for emptying the Trash??
Duff-Man says....oh c'mon...having to log in to a computer is a hassle? Having a userid/pw is not just a Mac thing - even PC users have to deal with it in any network environment. Tell him to get over it and that if he wants to use your computer he has to deal with it. If it is too difficult for him then you must have a total moron for a roommate/friend....oh yeah!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sorry, but I have to agree. A separate user account is absolutely the way to go. And as mentioned above, it isn't just a Mac thing. One user name, one password, simple, clean, even elegant on the Mac. Then its done.

You can drop files to each other's accounts and you can share files in the shared folder.

Not difficult to set up, and the peace of mind is invaluable. I have separate accounts for my wife, son and daughter, otherwise they would not be allowed on the computer! Woof! It is my domain!

It's probably possible to write a script to require a password, but I don't know of a way to do it within the OS. You can set it to warn you, but that's about it without some kind of scripting.

Can't you tell your roommate not to put anything in the trash?
Not that anyone can really be trusted. Woof!

Scary, I wouldn't want anyone, not my closest friend, lover, wife, anyone to do anything to my files without my permission. I guess I'm just anal that way!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I agree with these knowledgeable posters. Creating another account is the way to go.

But if you are so against extra accounts, here's an idea: There are ways to remove the Trash from the Dock (you can search google on how to do this because I've never done it). Out of site, out of mind? You can then make an alias to the Trash and hide it some where.

vjmacaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
California
Separate User Accounts

I finally created a separate user account for my roommate.

Problem: From my roommates account, he can access my Public Folder and Drop Box. From my account, I cannot access his Drop Box from his Public Folder!

How can this be? I have looked carefully through the various settings, but cannot figure out what is wrong. Even when I turned off my roommate's administrator's privileges, he can still access my Drop Box!! Even with Limitations set to "Some Limits," he can still access my Drop Box!!

When I try to access his Drop Box, a message pops up saying, "The folder "Drop Box" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges. Why do I not have sufficient access privileges? The iBook is MY computer!! How do I fix this problem, so my roommate cannot have access to my Drop Box. I really don't need access to his Drop Box, however.

grapes911 said:
I agree with these knowledgeable posters. Creating another account is the way to go.

But if you are so against extra accounts, here's an idea: There are ways to remove the Trash from the Dock (you can search google on how to do this because I've never done it). Out of site, out of mind? You can then make an alias to the Trash and hide it some where.

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
vjmacaddict said:
When I try to access his Drop Box, a message pops up saying, "The folder "Drop Box" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges. Why do I not have sufficient access privileges? The iBook is MY computer!! How do I fix this problem, so my roommate cannot have access to my Drop Box. I really don't need access to his Drop Box, however.

Navigate to your drop box and Get Info for it. Under the Ownership & Permissions area, select "No Access" from the Others drop down list. That should prohibit your roommate from gaining acces to your drop box.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Duuuude..

Ownership and permission has nothing to do with who owns the computer...how about you make things easier on yourself and just don't put any files into your drop box? It's set up that way so different users can share files...

vjmacaddict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
California
Public Folder/Drop Box

I thought that the Public Folder and Drop Box were for sharing, but when I found out that I can't access my roommates Drop Box, that got me to thinking that maybe I could also put files into my Drop Box, so my roommate wouldn't have access to certain files?

Anyway, I'd like to get the access privileges figured out, so I will also have access to my roommates Drop Box, just as they have access to mine. Any suggestions?

appleretailguy said:
Ownership and permission has nothing to do with who owns the computer...how about you make things easier on yourself and just don't put any files into your drop box? It's set up that way so different users can share files...

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
It's a bit strange that he can access your drop box. The drop box is supposed to be like what it's called, a drop box, you can drop files there for the user who owns it, but you should not be able to see what else is dropped there (unless of course it's your own drop box).

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Repair Permissions.

And you cannot open your buddies drop box. Just drop stuff in it. Same with yours to him, but you can open your Drop Box and see what has been dumped there.

innertechnology

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2005
Please help! can't empty trash!

Everything that i've dumped in me trash seems to be locked..I can't empty me trash. How do i get rid of this problem? please help..anyone?
Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.