Require rational, informative thread titles

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by transphasic, Jul 14, 2012.

1. transphasic macrumors member

Given that the forum is huge and has so many threads/posts/sections, could the admins start requiring people use thread titles that actually make sense? It would make it a lot easier to peruse the forum quickly, as lately I've stopped coming here because it is very annoying to have to click on thread titles like "Help" and "Battery" or some other non-explanatory title and finding that it doesn't even apply, or applies to a device you don't own, etc

A forum of this size should require posters use precise language to describe what the thread is about, so that people can quickly scroll through the hundreds/thousands of new threads made each day and choose the ones that interest them, and /or actually help people in. If I have to click 20-40 threads in the ipad help section, and can only find one thread that they find interesting/applicable, they will get frustrated (like me) and stop coming to the forum site altogether.

I've sent this to Apple as well, as their support forums also allow this, which is why I've stopped visiting there as well.

Thoughts/opinions, people?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Enforcing this requirement for every thread is not a constructive use of moderator time.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How would this be be implemented?

I mean Macrumor's deals with over 10,000 posts (not sure how many threads) in a day. Would you recommend that the moderation team review each and every thread and approve it, before the membership can see the thread?

This would be counter productive to the moderation team's time and the ability to get fas informative help or discussion on a given topic.

While I agree that informative titles aide a discussion, there are variables also such as a person's english skills. We have have many non english members and it while some may try to provide a post/thread that is informative it may not just be feasible.

Its not a bad request, but I don't think execution is feasible

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

If you see a thread title that's misleading or not informative, just report the first post in the thread and let us know. Then we can go in and change it.

I change that type of title when I'm browsing and happen to see it. But I have trouble seeing what sort of system wouldn't be a considerable drain on moderation time, for a fairly innocuous problem.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Average in June: 607 threads per day.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's a lot of threads to review every day.

7. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Maybe transphasic could be appointed a moderator with the specific responsibility of thread title clarity.

8. transphasic thread starter macrumors member

At the least, the forum could require having thread titles that at least explain what they are for, instead of one word lines like "Help".

600 thread divided by 5 active moderators (am guesstimating that number of operating mods at a single point in any given day) = 80 threads in a 24 hour period, that doesn't seem like too much to review.

9. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Not if moderation were a fulltime job, if that many mods always were on and working simultaneously, there were no issues the mods needed to discuss, and no other tasks to get done. ;)

We understand that vague titles can be irritating, but this isn't a huge problem. We do change thread titles when we notice them (I did a couple yesterday, just in the course of my regular forum browsing), and members can do as I suggest and report the first post in a thread if they want to bring a problematic title to our attention.

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

While it is slightly annoying, I don't think it's a major problem... In my opinion the issue of all the Android trolling in the iPhone forum is much more pressing.

11. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Those are the minority of new threads, and if you see them you should report them asking for a better title.