Required antivirus software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by capvt, Aug 8, 2014.

1. capvt macrumors newbie

Hi!

My university is now requiring all students to install an antivirus program in order to connect to campus wifi. The software they are recommending is avast!, and I am in no way inclined to run that on my system.

I'm fully aware that macs do not need an antivirus program, and would not be considering installing one if it was not mandatory. That being said, can anyone recommend a program that would not be harmful or disruptive to my system?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

ClamXav is considered by many to be a very good AV software without being intrusive, though your university might not like that, being not that intrusive.

3. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I'm guessing your campus IT people are Windows guys and not very Mac savvy

4. capvt thread starter macrumors newbie

You are guessing correctly. I've also tried reasoning with them, to no avail. I'll run the ClamAV suggestion past them, but I'm not optimistic.

5. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

How are they verifying that you have A/V installed?

6. capvt thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not 100% sure how they are verifying it this year, but when I was required to have Kaspersky, the wifi just wouldn't connect unless the software was installed. I don't know anything about the mechanics of it.

7. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

Been through it a hundred times. Id go with ClamXav though, least intrusive Mac AV there is.

8. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I'm curious because the only time I have seen this in use was with Symantec's SEP, and each host had to be running the SEP client connected to a company owned policy server. That makes it easy to discriminate between hosts with A/V and those without it, but only works if they all are required to use one vendor.

That doesn't seem to be what they're doing here if they don't require a specific product. It might mean that on-demand scanners that aren't daemonized won't work because I can't see how they would know the specific software installed on your machine.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

So how will they know? Do they plan to run a audit bit of software on your machine?

I wonder if it runs on Yosemite beta.....