Requirement to Encrypt Boot drive & ext HD for TM Backup

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iigsie, Oct 24, 2010.

1. iigsie macrumors regular

I have a requirement to encrypt the whole of my boot drive and my mobile Time Machine backup drive that I shall be taking with me on travels.

I know I can use FileVault, which will give me an encrypted disk image but I don't like the reliability of sparse images and need the whole of the boot drive to be encrypted.

I have tried Truecrypt to encrypt the TM disk, but could not get Time Machine to see it.

I've been looking at the Checkpoint Full Disk Encryption product. Anyone any experience with this? What I'm trying to find out is if I can encrypt a USB HD with it, but seem to be going round in loops between CHeckpoint and resellers.

2. mmatyas macrumors newbie

mmatyas

Whole disk encryption

You should look at the PGP (Now owned by Symantec) whole disk encryption product. It appears to be a bit more mature than Checkpoints, but both are fairly new products. The problem I've had with PGP is that they either don't look at the pre-view editions of OS/X that Apple seeds or they don't get them. As a result when new OS/X versions (major or minor) come out, you have to wait for PGP to get around to updating their software. When Snow Leopard came out it took months for PGP to update their WDE product.

I would love to see an Apple produced FIPS 140 certified WDE solution, as the third party security companies seem to be late to market most of the time.