Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Here is a mystery I'd like solved.

Is there a way to customize the the requirements field in iTunes connect or Xcode?

My app under Requirements says: "Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 5.0 or later.".

A competitors app is more detailed and says: "Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi and iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G. Requires iOS 4.3 or later."

xStep

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I think I have the answer. Will need to do a release to see the result.

Property List key UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities seems to be the solution. It can be a dictionary or array of predefined values. The item I'm going to add to an array is 'video-camera'. If I understand this correctly, the App Store will fill in the requirements appropriately.

This key is also referred to as 'Required device capabilities' in long form.

For those interested, I haven't found a way to exclude a particular device such as the iPad.

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Apparently you have to set it correctly in the first version of your app, you can't add restrictions in updates: see here.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Amorya, thanks for that link. Of course I'll try it anyway for my own personal feedback. :D

Without this change, I'll likely have to wait for iOS 6 or 7 where Apple effectively drops support for devices without video camera capability. That sucks.

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Amorya, thanks for that link. Of course I'll try it anyway for my own personal feedback. :D

Without this change, I'll likely have to wait for iOS 6 or 7 where Apple effectively drops support for devices without video camera capability. That sucks.

Please do try it yourself —*it'd be good to have more data points on whether that policy is always the case.

If you want a workaround, try setting your minimum OS to 4.3 —*only the 3GS and newer can run that anyway, so the only device you have that can't do video would be the iPad 1.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Please do try it yourself —*it'd be good to have more data points on whether that policy is always the case.

If you want a workaround, try setting your minimum OS to 4.3 —*only the 3GS and newer can run that anyway, so the only device you have that can't do video would be the iPad 1.

That is my situation now. Both the iPad 1 and the iPod touch 3rd generation support iOS 5, which is my minimum supported OS. The point of adding the UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities parameter is to exclude those since neither has a camera.

I'm not yet ready for the next upgrade, but I did make the change so I'll see what happens when I do the upload.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.