Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
This may be an unknown right now, but I have to wonder what apples new software update in the fall will mean for current owners of mavericks systems. Yeah, free update and all of that, but will it require more from the operating system than what mavericks use now? Will 4gb , 128gb for the low end models be enough? I haven't seen any reference to this at all. From what I gather this is a tick and not a tock so we're talking about a software issue instead of hardware, correct? Also when the hardware changes with the tock will that be a problem? I would hate to buy now and want the upgrade in the fall for the use of a smart watch, upgrade and have my air whine like a jet engine just to try and keep up. However many of the new features this software may provide may not be something I'd use anyway.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
IIRC, although Apple hasn't posted the system requirements, I thought they said during the WWDC keynote that they hadn't changed.

A Google for "Yosemite system requirements" returned this:

The system requirements for Yosemite listed by Apple are identical to those for Mavericks, which means that the following systems will be able to run OS X 10.10:

MacBook Pro: mid-2007 or newer
MacBook Air: late 2008 or newer
iMac: mid-2007 or newer
Mac mini: early 2009 or newer
Mac Pro: early 2008 or newer
MacBook: late 2008 aluminum, early 2009 or newer
Xserve: early 2009

That means the hardware requirements for Apple's latest Mac operating system have been unchanged for two years, as last year Apple did not change the requirements from the upgrade to Mountain Lion to Mavericks.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...avericks-but-ios-8-drops-support-for-iphone-4

and this:

System requirements[edit]
No changes in system requirements have been made for Yosemite, meaning that all Macintosh products capable of running OS X Mavericks will be supported by Yosemite; as with Mavericks, 2 GB of RAM, 8 GB of available storage, and OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) or later are required.[10]

The full list of compatible models:

iMac (Mid 2007 or Newer)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Yosemite

SuperPolli

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2013
New Jersey
Developers have been given guidelines for what machines OS X 10.10 Yosemite will run on. The requirements have not changed from OS X 10.9 Mavericks, however many new features in Yosemite will only run on newer machines. Examples being Handoff, Continuity, and AirDrop between Mac and iOS devices.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Will 4gb , 128gb for the low end models be enough?

2gb of ram is still enough to run Yosemite. It will be a long time before 4gb of ram won't be enough for a new release. I'd think you are good for 5 plus years with 4gb of ram as far as "minimum system requirements" go.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
This may be an unknown right now, but I have to wonder what apples new software update in the fall will mean for current owners of mavericks systems. Yeah, free update and all of that, but will it require more from the operating system than what mavericks use now? Will 4gb , 128gb for the low end models be enough? I haven't seen any reference to this at all. From what I gather this is a tick and not a tock so we're talking about a software issue instead of hardware, correct? Also when the hardware changes with the tock will that be a problem? I would hate to buy now and want the upgrade in the fall for the use of a smart watch, upgrade and have my air whine like a jet engine just to try and keep up. However many of the new features this software may provide may not be something I'd use anyway.
Any macbook sold today will be supported for at least the next 5 years.
The low end model is perfectly fine for Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.