Requirements for Yosemite os

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Rchawks, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Rchawks, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

Rchawks macrumors member

This may be an unknown right now, but I have to wonder what apples new software update in the fall will mean for current owners of mavericks systems. Yeah, free update and all of that, but will it require more from the operating system than what mavericks use now? Will 4gb , 128gb for the low end models be enough? I haven't seen any reference to this at all. From what I gather this is a tick and not a tock so we're talking about a software issue instead of hardware, correct? Also when the hardware changes with the tock will that be a problem? I would hate to buy now and want the upgrade in the fall for the use of a smart watch, upgrade and have my air whine like a jet engine just to try and keep up. However many of the new features this software may provide may not be something I'd use anyway.

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

IIRC, although Apple hasn't posted the system requirements, I thought they said during the WWDC keynote that they hadn't changed.

A Google for "Yosemite system requirements" returned this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...avericks-but-ios-8-drops-support-for-iphone-4

and this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_X_Yosemite

3. SuperPolli macrumors regular

Developers have been given guidelines for what machines OS X 10.10 Yosemite will run on. The requirements have not changed from OS X 10.9 Mavericks, however many new features in Yosemite will only run on newer machines. Examples being Handoff, Continuity, and AirDrop between Mac and iOS devices.

4. Rchawks, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

Rchawks thread starter macrumors member

5. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

2gb of ram is still enough to run Yosemite. It will be a long time before 4gb of ram won't be enough for a new release. I'd think you are good for 5 plus years with 4gb of ram as far as "minimum system requirements" go.

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

Any macbook sold today will be supported for at least the next 5 years.
    The low end model is perfectly fine for Yosemite.