Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demcee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2011
After an update awhile ago, I've been having an issue where programs will not update without authentication, which is fine, however, some require authentication and won't offer a chance to do so.

I am signed in as admin when this happens.

For example, I will try to run "OnLive" (the gaming software) and the update process will fail and say the software requires administration privileges to update. I checked the settings and they are read and write for everyone (that particular program)

NP3

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Los Angeles
After an update awhile ago, I've been having an issue where programs will not update without authentication, which is fine, however, some require authentication and won't offer a chance to do so.

I am signed in as admin when this happens.

For example, I will try to run "OnLive" (the gaming software) and the update process will fail and say the software requires administration privileges to update. I checked the settings and they are read and write for everyone (that particular program)

I would repair permissions (in disk utility). Sounds like a folder's permissions got whacked to where your account lost the ability to write.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.