Requires charging for update?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleFan91, May 19, 2015.

1. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

Isn't it a little odd that the device must have at least 50% battery AND be connected to the charger? Do you guys think this is something they will change in the future? Kinda weird that the battery being at 50% isn't enough somehow.

That being said, updating now and excited to see any improvements. :cool:

2. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

No, that ensures if it were to pop off the charger (since it's just a magnet) that it doesn't die and brick itself from an update.

Edit: and vice versa! That it doesn't get caught in some event that drains the battery, since it is a costly thing to do, and die midupdate and brick.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

50% battery should be enough for that. Similar restrictions are there for iPhones and iPads, but once they are above the threshold they don't need to be plugged in. Perhaps it's different for the Watch, but it seems a little odd.

4. cjcamilla macrumors newbie

I found it extremely odd, too. It was already charging when the update came through, so it wasn't an issue.

Might also have to do with the amount of apps on the Watch, might make some updates longer than others? Just a guess.

5. msesha87 macrumors 6502

msesha87

Update

My watch is at 43% and the update is progressing.

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

On the early iPhones you had to have them plugged into your computer in order to update. Later you had to be on wifi. Now you can update anywhere.

7. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

Mine always says it must be connected to wifi.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Hey man. I thought you hung out only the in iOS8 forums (soon to be iOS 9).

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Expanding my horizons.

10. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

Given that the iPhone appears to play an important role in the update process I was surprised that it did not have to be connected to a charger, even though the watch did. Still, it's not a terribly burdensome requirement.

11. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

You can't brick an iPad or iPhone by failing an update because you could always hard tether it while in DFU. Plus the hard tether isn't pulling battery life away with each byte transferred, it's adding it.

If you brick an  Watch you're **** out of luck until you get to an Apple Store because there is no way to create a hard connection. Not to mention, you're transferring data, a large amount of data, across BT in an update that took me ~20 minutes. This is a guarantee for the people who will push the limits saying, "Oh well my iPhone can do it," and to prevent blowback from that.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Well, welcome to the Apple watch forums. :)