Requirments for making a mobile phone cobtract in UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SmashedRocket, Jun 12, 2010.

1. SmashedRocket macrumors newbie

Hi @ all UK guys

so I'm going to UK in September and I'm planing to buy a Iphone 4.
    I will stay in UK for a year or two. Now I'm wondering about the requirments for making a mobile phone plan at VODAFON UK.

My Question:

I have a MasterCard. Will I be able to purchase my mobilephone plan with a credit card? Because I'm not interested in opening a UK bank account. In addition I have a german bank account at Deutsche Bank.

Excuse my English.... I'm going to UK for improving my English skills.. ;-)

Thank you,
    SmashedRocket

2. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

You need some kind of credit history plus proof of address and 2 forms of ID (AKA you need to be legal), be 18 and you need a UK Bank Account.

You can buy the phone on your CC/DC but not pay for the plan.

Also stay away from Vodafone, go O2 or Orange IMO.

3. SmashedRocket thread starter macrumors newbie

there is only vodafone coverage in my area.
    So i can't purchase the monthly cost with my credit card.?
    how long does it takes to open a bank account in uk?
    damn....

4. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Highly doubt that.
    No you can't.

5. SmashedRocket thread starter macrumors newbie

I took a look on the coverage map of O2 and Orange and both had a realy weak signal and no 3G support.
    I´m out of nowhere.
    Why is Vodafon a bad choice?

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Where are you going to be, that you don't get good or even adequate O2/Orange coverage :eek:

7. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Well, I recently moved from Germany to the UK, London because I got a job at Square-Enix and I think I can give you some hints:

First of all, if you do not live in the UK for at least 6 months, a lot of carriers won't give you a pay monthly contract AT ALL. No chance. I can confirm this for o2, Orange, Vodafone and T-Mobile.

After 6 months (3 months for Orange), you can ask for a contract, but you will need an UK bank account, the last 3 statements from your bank and an utility bill (like Power, Water, Council Tax, Landline Phone or similar bill) with your name on it.

I have no information for "3" (The Three Network), but the above should give you an idea what to expect. I'd suggest that you get a PAYG SIM & iPhone 4, makes the whole thing a lot easier.

8. SmashedRocket thread starter macrumors newbie

so first of all I will be in bording school. so I will not have any bills like water.
    Isn't there any other possibility for students or pupil?

And I thought Germany is bureaucratic... -.-

9. ACDeag macrumors regular

You have to be 18 to have a contract under UK law.

10. SmashedRocket thread starter macrumors newbie

11. ACDeag macrumors regular

Don't know about the iPhone 4 but for the 3GS you can buy it on O2 PAYG for £449 and then so long as you make a couple of calls and you have a credit balance of £15 or more you can ask them to unlock it for a £15 fee. You can then use a Vodafone SIM in it.

As mentioned earlier you will have to use PAYG as no network will give a non-resident a contract.

One warning though Vodafone do not have very good data packages on PAYG.

Have you looked at Three's coverage http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/Coverage

12. SmashedRocket thread starter macrumors newbie

13. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

So get him to to buy it? and again where will you be to not get O2 or Orange signal... IMO I think you don't know what your talking about, yes Orange are weak in some areas same goes for O2 but they are both better than Vodafone :)

14. ACDeag macrumors regular

I would disagree with you about Vodafone being better than O2. "The best" network for one person is not necessarily the best for another, it depends where you live, work, visit and travel through. Where I live (ground floor flat) Vodafone is by far the best and T-Mobile non-existant but it you go up two floors they all work fine.

15. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

T-Mobile is non-existant everywhere :p but out of the big three Vodafone is worse IMO and customer service :eek:

16. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

For me Vodafone is still the best

was with o2 for 18months but never got any signal on the ground floor of the house, 3G never in the house ever.

As for customer service, Vodafone call centres are in India and places like that. Which means the open hours are longer, but the service isn't always as good as it could be.