Resale market for iPod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kevzy, Mar 29, 2009.

1. kevzy macrumors member

Just wondering how easy or hard it is to sell an iPod touch on gumtree, craigslist, e-bay etc.

I'm waiting for a 64GB version but am thinking of just buying the 32GB and upgrading in September when the 3rd gen will (hopefully) bring 64GB. The plan would be to sell the 32GB one a week or two before the media event (presume they'll have one) and add some extra cash to buy the 3rd generation model.

Thanks for any opinions.

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Don't expect to recoup all of what you spent, but the resale on apple devices is pretty good. With the price of a new one at $399, if your iPod is in good condition I think you might get $300-330 off of it, which would be really good. I sold a dell laptop on ebay after having it for 8 months and I barely got 2/3 of what I bought it for back because I got lucky.

3. kevzy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I don't expect to sell it for the retail price. I'll have it in a case with a screen protector so Hopefully it will be in pretty good shape, especially if i only have it for 6 months or so.

I was thinking of somewhere between £190 and £210 given that it would only be 6 months old, in very good condition with a free case thrown in (will probably get the switcheasy neo touch) and upgraded to 3.0 software? What do you think?

Edit: a 32GB iPod touch is £283 in the UK.

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

You'll definitely be able to sell it, especially with the free case. If I were you I might expect 3/4 of what I bought it for, but the only way to know for sure is to check on ebay and see what similar items are selling for.

5. buxtone17 macrumors regular

Why don't you just wait for the 64GB version?

September is only five months away.

6. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

The 64GB version may come out sooner than that, like the 32GB version did a year ago, IIRC.

7. kevzy thread starter macrumors member

I decided I wanted one in June 2008 and had the money to buy it from September 2008 so I've been waiting a long time.

The 32GB came out in early Feb. last year. If the 64GB isn't out by the 14th of April I'll buy the 32GB. I'll have 2 weeks to return it if the 64GB is released. By that time we're into May and I think that's too late for Apple to release a 64GB version so close to September.

8. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

You're probably right, but then you never know :rolleyes:.

9. d94 macrumors member

well i just sold my 1st gen 16gb for 200 over the weekend
    and bought a 2nd gen 32gb for 220
    but im one hell of a hustler..lol

10. mac88 macrumors 6502

Shouldn't be too hard to sell on eBay. In the description just say that it comes with a free case and screen protector and be honest about the condition. Post some good pictures and see how you do.