Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rick3000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2008
West Coast
I am curious what people's opinions are of the 2.5Ghz vs 2.8Ghz 15" MBP in relation to resale value.

I am about to buy a 15" with a 1TB SSD, the 2.8Ghz is $200 more, and I am debating maxing it out versus not. I do not particularly need the 2.8Ghz, however I am curious if maxing it out will help resale value in 2-3 years time. I realize a lot of people will say to buy the computer you need, and I do not need the 2.8Ghz. I am just curious what people think from a resale viewpoint.

Thanks!

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I am curious what people's opinions are of the 2.5Ghz vs 2.8Ghz 15" MBP in relation to resale value.

I am about to buy a 15" with a 1TB SSD, the 2.8Ghz is $200 more, and I am debating maxing it out versus not. I do not particularly need the 2.8Ghz, however I am curious if maxing it out will help resale value in 2-3 years time. I realize a lot of people will say to buy the computer you need, and I do not need the 2.8Ghz. I am just curious what people think from a resale viewpoint.

Thanks!

Seeing as people buying used aren't usually out after the latest and greatest, I doubt it'll do much as far as resale goes.

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012

Thanks!

It won't help much, in 2-3 years, the GPU or ram will likely be a defining factor in determining its resale value. Since you're likely getting the 750m and ram is the same for all models - I don't think you should over think this and just go with the 2.5ghz model.

Additionally, the general condition and presence of warranty would take precedence over these hardware factors.

aoaaron

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
Number of Ghz will only help you sell to idiots.

Each iteration of intel's new processors played a bigger role than the clock speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.