Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I used to upgrade my machines fairly recently by selling the old ones and putting the sale price of the previous mac towards the new machine.

That strategy worked fairly well in the past when PowerPC Macs had amazing resale value, but I can't help but notice that the newer Intel Macs don't seem to share this advantage. Was looking around eBay at some ended listings and noticed that for the older generation 2.0Ghz Core Duo Macbook Pros, bid prices finish barely over 1 grand, pretty sad for a machine that is less than 1 year old and retailed for $1999. Even the newest 2.33Ghz C2D ones went for about 200 less than EDU pricing, and that is for those that came with a 160GB hard drive upgrade :eek:

Is the lousy build quality of new Macs affecting resale value? Or is it something else?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Build Quality? No I think its that Apple upgrades its machines too often and the first generation problems (which may be what you mean by build quality but this happens to most first gen products).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.