Resale Value: High End vs. Base Model

krause734

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I am considering upgrading my iMac to the next generation if it comes out soon. I am debating between the base 21.5" model and the high end 27" model and everything in between both new and refurbished.

I was thinking about just getting the base model because I feel like it would depreciate the least amount over time when I eventually want to sell it and upgrade again. Let's say the base model ($1,199) goes down by 25% in value in three years and the high end model ($1,999) does the same. This would mean a 300 loss in the base model and a 500 loss in the high end model.

Does anyone else overanalyze their purchase like this? Thanks for any advice.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
resale is pretty good on the high end but try to get the upgraded high end because it tends to be even better, i believe the upgraded high ends are still selling for about 1800 of last years model which for now a year and a half old and used computer is pretty good,

also for resale because of apples prices being sky high for ram if you load it yourself with 167gb of samsung ram u will have a much higher resale value for little out of pocket for you

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
I am considering upgrading my iMac to the next generation if it comes out soon. I am debating between the base 21.5" model and the high end 27" model and everything in between both new and refurbished.

I was thinking about just getting the base model because I feel like it would depreciate the least amount over time when I eventually want to sell it and upgrade again. Let's say the base model ($1,199) goes down by 25% in value in three years and the high end model ($1,999) does the same. This would mean a 300 loss in the base model and a 500 loss in the high end model.

Does anyone else overanalyze their purchase like this? Thanks for any advice.
21" vs 27" is separate and shouldnt be compared together for depreciation purpose. Now within the same screen size, of course the higher end/priced model will lose value much more as its expensive ssd/graphic card becomes less a factor over time. But if you actually want to play games and stuff on the imac then you have no choice as only the $2000 version comes with 6970M (and i recommend spend the extra $100 to upgrade to 2GB).

If you dont play games and just do some surf/email normal use, then definitely get the lower model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.