Resale value of macbook vs. macbook pro over the next 6 months?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jakobben, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Jakobben macrumors newbie

Hi,

My old PC laptop died on me today. I'm currently writing my master thesis in engineering on it (and my iMac i5), so I really have a need for a new one. However, when I graduate this summer I'll probably sell whatever I choose to buy now, because I don't think I'll have any use for that type of device anymore.
    Because I'm a student I can get some discount on the products, which makes it easier for me to sell them without much loss 6 months from now.

My question is:
    Between the 13" MBP and the macbook, which one will likely have the highest resale value in 6 months? I'm thinking that since the macbook has been refurbished recently, apple won't likely launch a new one before july. The macbook pro line-up however is rather due for some new hardware (Core i CPUs etc.). So if a new MBP line-up hits the store before summer, I'll be caught with "dated tech".

What would you recommend I do?

For my particular need, both the macbook and the 13" macbook pro will suit my needs just fine. I'll install windows on it, and run that most of the time. The reason I chose to consider macbooks is because of the student discount, which I don't get on any PCs.

BR
    Jakob

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

So $800 for a Macbook you are going to run Windows on?

Seems kinda silly to me.

You can easily get a good PC laptop for under $500, $400 if you hang out at fatwallet.

3. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

most universities have discounts on certain windows computers through their campuses. Speak to your IT department

4. Jakobben thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies.

The point is not exactly which computer I use, but which computer I'll be getting the most for when selling it again. I don't mind spending the larger amount of money on a laptop, if I can get most of it back again...

I'm living in Denmark (Europe), and sadly my university doesn't offer any laptop discounts... Good thinking though!

5. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

if that is the case, I would go for the white unibody macbook.

It is fast and an overall great unit.

Crucially, it was updated quite recently, so will hold its value longer than the current mbp's which are due an update soon-ish.

Also, in the UK at least, the apple refurbs cost more than the educational discount. If this is the same in Denmark, then it also tells you that this price is reasonable for a used pooter: you may even make a profit on it! :)

6. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

why not save some money and purchase a windows machine?

Habitus :apple:

7. jahala macrumors regular

Go for white macbook

I like to try new (to me at least) computers all the time, so I regularly buy and sell Apple laptops, iMacs, and other things in the USA. I have noticed that the loss on both the macbooks and macbook pros seems to be about 20% after six months, assuming
    1) no updates come out,
    2) they were purchased new at full retail price,
    3) market is Los Angeles, CA, USA, and
    4) taxes and fees are neglected.

If I were you, I would buy the macbook because you lose 20% of a smaller number. The education discount will help, but since it is a percentage as well, you are still better off with the macbook.

If I were in your situation here, I would try to find a very good deal on a used machine. If you get a good enough deal, you might even make a profit. So far, I have broken even or made a profit more often than taking a loss by getting cheap, used computers. The warranties follow the machines, not the owners, so I wish you luck finding a cheap, used machine under warranty that fits your needs.

8. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

this is great advice, but I think that you are underestimating the size of the student discount (mine is 14% off and free applecare - without the phone support)