Resale value on iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by malvicus, Sep 6, 2013.

1. malvicus macrumors member

So, I am counting down the days when I will finally pull the trigger and buy my first iMac. Earlier this week, I read on the forums here that one could preserve about 70% of resale value on the entry level iMacs but you would lose out more on the upgraded imacs.

So I went to everymac.com and selected a 27" i7 iMac from 3 years ago. Then I entered that iMac into Gazelle.com and Apple's Recycling program. To my dismay, gazelle offered a lil under 700 to 780 (~30% resale value). To my surprise, Apple offered 870 (40%) for a machine that was priced at 2199 back in 2010. I had expected Apple to offer less for a machine that was in good condition.

Then it dawned on me. Folks are always wondering if Apple offers sales on their computers. If I buy my new iMac this year, I could shave off at least 30% off my next computer in 3 years if I treat it right. OMG what if I bought my new one on Black Friday? Is that another 50-100 bucks off? Buying a 2300 computer with $700 to 800 dollars off is a very attractive deal, man.

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

The best way to judge prices is to look at auctions.
    Recyclers don't pay what the machine is worth.

Pristine condition and all the packaging is important.
    Timing is equally important. Certain times net you 200 more. iMacs hold value quite well. I've sold 8-9 in the last 6 years.

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Value over time.....

is a very debatable issue. Common accounting practices call for 0.25 yearly depreciation for light/medium use and 0.33 yearly for heavy use. And then plays into the equation the custom hardware, AppleCare and another modifications. And market value for items no longer in production, as FireWire Macs and so on.

But a safe bet for me, is take in account as a basic guide the price obtained after depreciation.....:D

:):apple:

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

If resale is the main concern, you should consider buying the display separately. 5 year old iMacs are approaching their graves (taking the screen with them). Meanwhile, apple displays 10+ years old are still in active service.

5. malvicus thread starter macrumors member

I have considered configurations other than the iMacs and the mac mini doesn't have enough for what I want to do and the Mac Pro has not been refreshed yet and may be out of my price range anyway. I was definitely looking to sell the iMac after 3 years, tho.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, there are many who are in between the mini and older pro. And we're all hoping the new pro comes in an entry level config that fills this void. The question is whether Apple considers this already filled by the iMac.

7. MacMilligan macrumors 6502

I don't know why people sell to resellers. They give you half of what you can get by throwing it on eBay or selling it locally on craigslist. Macs have great resale value if you take a bit of initiative.

8. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

Regardless of your findings, Macs hold their resale value better than any other PC I've owned or on the market for that matter.

My late 2009 is approaching an upgrade and I'll probably move to the 3YR Apple Care upgrade cycle many do on these forums.

Always having a machine under Apple's warranty is genius.. At least for me.