Resale value on perfect condition 16GB locked iphone 4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Misskitty, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Wondering what i could get for it, i know its much harder to sell a locked phone and Im not going to go through all the hassle paying someone $50-120 to do it cause I put mine up for $150 and no replies. Phone is 2 years old and no warranty left.

Best Buy is offering $100 gift card for it and am wondering if i should just do that and save myself the hassle.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What carrier? AT&T will unlock for free if your contract is up.

3. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

If it's perfect, I would keep it, great iPod touch. It's worth what someone is willing to pay.

:apple:

4. mpantone macrumors 6502

Gazelle.com would give you $45 for a perfect condition "like never been used" unit; a "good condition" unit is worth $40. Amazon.com allegedly offers the most of the buyback services, but it would probably only be $5-10 dollars more than Gazelle. Note that Amazon only issues store credit, not cash (like Gazelle and some of the other buyback services).

One hundred bucks from Best Buy (as store credit) is actually a pretty good trade-in offer, considering it's no questions asked, hassle-free.

Yours is two years old, so the battery has seen some use; at some point it will no longer hold a charge. It's also 3.5 year old technology. As an iPod, the 16GB model isn't so appealing in my mind; the iPhone 4 has a single-core CPU and the camera is pretty mediocre by today's standards.

You could use it as a standalone GPS navigation unit with built-in maps, but you wouldn't get live traffic reports which is one of the most compelling features of GPS navigation in 2013.

Personally, I'd ditch it, but that's just me...

5. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

6. GoingDark macrumors 6502

I would take the gift card, because if you think getting it unlocked is a hassle (something that's usually a simple phone call to your carrier), just imagine the hassle of trying to sell it on Craigslist or somewhere similar.

7. wwynne23 macrumors newbie

Make a simple phone call and see if you can get it unlocked-if not, dump it for the gift card:)

8. boomdog macrumors regular

boomdog

sell it to a less fortunate family member or friend for the same price Gazelle would offer. They wouldn't be able to pick one up that cheap anywhere else. I'd rather someone else pay me the money and do them a favour at the same time.

I donated my 4 to my Bro and it never leaves his hand. He has no computer, no sat nav, no MP3 player, no home internet, no games console. No he can access all those things to some extent and considerably more with the addition of a few apps. I'm get more satisfaction from that than I would get from selling it for £50-£100.

Pay it forward

9. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

10. Misskitty thread starter macrumors 6502