All iPads Resale value

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Samtb, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

Does the resale value for ipads generally decrease over time or does it stay stable? When is the best time to sell the current ipad if upgrading?

2. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Like everything, resale value decreases over time. From what I've seen, 16GB/wifi-only of the latest iPad will hold its value the longest.

Best time to sell, in my opinion, is right when the newest iPad is announced. That does mean, though, that you may be iPad-less for a short while.

3. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

What about when keynote invites go out? Will the resale value be higher then?

4. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Who knows. If you want the absolute highest value you can get for your iPad, the time to sell is NOW.

The price isn’t going to go up at all, that’s for sure.

5. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for that. Do you know how I can find out the average resale value? Prices are varying a lot on sites like ebay and amazon.

6. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

It does vary from site to site. In my experience, Craigslist will get you the best price, because people tend to prefer to just go out and buy it instead of waiting for shipping.

eBay is probably the best online way to do it, because they have good seller protection. Go and see the recently sold items to get a good idea of what to list yours at.

Swappa.com is also an easy site, and they don't charge you a seller's fee. They tack on an additional $10 to your price as a buyer's fee.

7. Bokes macrumors 6502

I have had really good success selling on craigslist.
    I usually price my devices about $50 less than what Apple is selling it for. That's usually enough for folks to bite. (Don't forget- the buyer is saving on tax as well)
    Although lately- the Apple resale business is not what it once was.

Also, if you know you will upgrade sooner than later- keep everything- box, cables,etc. and treat the device very nice.

8. simply stunning macrumors regular

Take a look for your specific model on eBay under completed listings. Then take off about 10% for shipping and fees. That is about the going rate as it is what you will walk away with after an auction. If you look on craigslist, you will find that should be the going rate. The problem with looking on CL is you aren't sure what is being sold for the amounts on there. With eBay you can see what actual price the item sold for.

I find I can work out to be about the same selling on CL as the eBay price less fees. If I'm patient I can get a little more, but for the most part I have several people I need to spend a long time talking to before someone will meet me with the correct amount of cash...

9. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

the iPad 3 16GB's seem to hold their value the best. considering you can buy one of those refurbs from Apple.com for $379 and immediately flip it for $469 on eBay and make a profit just goes to show you that.

around the holidays i buy ~ a dozen iPad refurbs and flip for profit. this past holiday i bought 6 black and 6 white iPad 3 16GB wifi refurbs. about 3 weeks before Xmas Apple.com sold out of that refurb model online. that's when i posted mine up (2) at a time in black and white and offered free 2-3 day priority shipping.

i sold (1) white one for $449 and the other 11 at $459 for black ones and $469 for white ones, fixed price so only 5% fee. i used Regional Rate boxes for shipping so my shipping cost never exceeded $8 and i shipped as far as Texas.

i made a nice chunk of change solely due to the high holiday demand and stellar resale value...even despite the iPad 4 being released. the resale value on Apple products is amazing.

HOWEVER - resale value on future Apple products will be questionable as more and more retailers are making agreements with Apple to carry their products. the selective availability (not so much availability per se, more for point of sale locations) also contributed to the resale value. without going too much into retail sales theory and supply and demand yada-yada, the more retailers that carry Apple products the more used products flood the market due to returns, remanufactured, open box, etc...all of which contribute to a decline resale value. the iPad 4 currently has HORRENDOUS resale value since there is no point in buying it off eBay with unrealistic seller's asking prices when you can walk into a Best Buy and purchase an open box iPad with the same return policy, same Apple 1yr warranty, and an automatic discount on a Best Buy product replacement plan warranty if you choose.

i expect the resale value of Apple products to start declining more once Staples and other office supply stores start to carry iPads and iPhones (which is rumored to be soon)

10. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Are you saying it's got horrendous resale value compared to the initial buyer's cost ($499)?

I have to think you could get a little bit more than an iPad 3, given the better specs and lightning connector port. Granted, I'm not saying $469, but I'd be shocked if you couldn't unload one for $400 quite easily.

11. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

I would say $400 is very reasonable for an iPad 4 in excellent condition, around the time the 5 is released.

12. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

yes, resale value relative to the initial purchase cost

the iPad 3 refurbs are a tremendous value right now