iPad mini Resale values of iPad mini models

Discussion in 'iPad' started by g35, Nov 15, 2013.

1. g35, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

g35 macrumors 6502a

A bit of a silly thread but might help some people decide what to buy. How much do you think iPad mini models will hold their value down the line? The resale numbers are Canadian but close enough for US I think. This is my guess:

$329 for new 2012 iPad mini at release
    $250 for 2012 iPad mini after 1 year (now - the current rate on CL)
    $150 for 2012 iPad mini after 2 years (next year)
    $100 for 2012 iPad mini after 3 years (2 years from now - the current rate for an iPad 1 on CL - relatively underpowered, non-retina screen - similar case to the 2012 iPad mini)

$399 for new 2013 iPad mini at release
    $320 for 2013 iPad mini after 1 year
    $220 for 2013 iPad mini after 2 years
    $150 for 2013 iPad mini after 3 years

I imagine at some point that $70 difference has to compress

Does this sound off to anyone?

2. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Not sure I understand what you're getting at? :confused:

If you're buying ANY piece of technology solely based on maximizing resale value you're fighting a losing battle. Apple holds it better than most if not everything else, but it's still not an investment.

I'd buy what you need or what and anything you can get out of it down the road is a bonus should you choose to sell it.

3. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

The original mini has dropped in price fast. Much faster then the iPad 1 or 2.

4. g35, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

g35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not treating it as an investment, I'm looking at it as cost-of-ownership. If you don't plan to sell it, that's fine - your cost of ownership is simply the list price.

I don't want to have a costly (to me) object sitting in my drawer doing nothing after 2 years. I'd rather sell it and put half of it's cost toward the next thing. Wouldn't you like it if all of Apple's prices were effectively cut in half?

I am also not buying something SOLELY on resale value. I decide whether the extra cost of a new one is worth it. For $100 extra, it's worth it. If it was somehow $300 more for a retina iPad mini vs an old one, I'd find that hard to justify and I suspect all but the most ardent apple fanboys would feel similarly.

I also appreciate the option of buying something used rather than new, when I want to. I'm typing this from a 2011 Macbook Air I bought for $650 rather than $1200. It gives me the same piece of mind and 1-year warranty as a new one, with a few tradeoffs. If everybody hung onto their tech until they died or threw it in the trash, this wouldn't be an option. I like having this option.

5. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

Another factor to consider, besides time, is any updates to iOS that won't work on the older models. That would probably go hand in hand with how long Apple supports the iPad 2. At this rate, you'd think there would be a few more years left since they're still pushing these but whenever that drops off, I'd think the 1st Gen Mini would as well. It's still a perfectly capable device. I sold mine so I could go to the rMini, but opted for the Air (ordered it the day before they rolled out the Mini on Apple.com). But I gave the Air a shot and am pretty happy with it. Figuring the rMini will hit the refurb store sometime next year for around $349, then down to, maybe the $279-$319 range (pretty big range, lol), once the 3rd gen comes out. That might play a part in the resale value, it would for me.

6. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I understand your point about buying used, but your first post read more like trying to decide on what to buy new *NOW* based on what you expect it to be worth 1/2/3 years from now when you want to sell it. Those are two totally different things.

If you were simply asking for opinions on whether the $150 difference between a 1 year old Mini and a brand new rMini was worth it, that makes sense. That just wasn't how I interpreted your post.

7. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I sold my mini on Ebay today for $275.- including a leather case.... I'm happy.

Attached Files:

8. gigaguy macrumors 65816

apple.com sells the mini 1 refurb for $249. and the new price dropped to $299 from $329 usd. since mini 2 is out I wonder if refurb minis will drop more.

9. g35 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, i'm pretty sure they dropped the price already from 280 to 250 after the mini 2 was announced.

10. gwsmith macrumors member

I sold my iPad Mini 64GB Wifi only on eBay tonight for $445. It is pristine and has Applecare + though April 2015.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Not anytime soon, barring any Black Friday discounts.