Resale values.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Southernboyj, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013

Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I'm wanting to sell my MacBook Pro. I'd like to get your opinions on what you think it's resale value would be.

It's the spec-bumped 15" Retina MacBook Pro 256Gb SSD.
    Listed as early 2013. It's only 4 months old, in perfect condition,and includes the original box, all papers, charge, and a blue translucent case.

I just listed it in the Marketplace of MacRumors.

I'm asking $1,500 or $1,450 PayPal gift.

This model goes for $1,869 + tax on Apples refurb store so do your think my price is fair?

2. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Check recently ended eBay auctions for your machine to get a feel for what they are going for.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Most people on the MacRumors Marketplace understand the new model is coming out any time and would want to purchase this rMBP for cheaper because the price will drop.

5. SilverOath macrumors member

Best Buy was selling the 2.3/8/256GB 15" Retina (granted it was clearance for 1100, but it was new and returnable/full warranty) four months ago. I just looked on CL and saw a 2.6/8/512 15" Retina available locally (with local phone number) for 1250. I'd guess maybe ~1100-1200 with some patience and luck.

6. tonie macrumors 6502

Sure you saw one for $1200 and didn't buy it. Why don't you provide and link and we'll see.

To the OP, you will definitely get more than 1200 for your laptop. You will get around 1400 for it.

7. yangchewren macrumors regular

So best to deal soon... Unless selling on ebay, communication via own means/on the forums would not constitute a binding contract.

8. robvas macrumors 68020

Where are these $1100-$1200 15" MBPr's? Not on my local CL or Best Buy!

9. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Seriously. My price is much lower than eBay as well.

10. appl3kill macrumors member

I bought a used like new rmbp 5 battery cycles 15" 16gb 256gb 2.4ghz i7 1400$

amazon

11. SilverOath macrumors member

Because I don't want or need one, and I know the market for them is weak right now. I had a 2.7/16/512 with 2.5 years left of Apple Care, and it took me two months to sell it on CL in SF Bay & Sacramento, and I only ended up getting 1900. That was 6 months now.

I keep an eye on the local markets since I have an app that lets me know when specific items are posted on CL. I also watch to see how long they take to sell, get refreshed, or if ads end up just timing out. If I thought I could have made money on that MBPr I would have bought it - its why I watch CL -- but right now it's sketchy. I could barely get 1200 for a 2011 i7 end of last year, granted the few I flipped weren't anti-glare, or SSD but the three I did sell had Apple Care. I'm fairly confident that now a year later a 2011 isn't going to reliably sell for more than that, which isn't to say it can't, but the odds arn't ever in the sellers favor.

12. Xerotech macrumors 6502

Price of them continually drop. The IR and flickering created a mass market for them. Then as newer gen ones released, they continue to depreciate in value. It's a basics in supply and economics. Not many people 'want', 'need' or can afford MBPr. The market seems to be limited. Hence, greater depreciation in prices.

I attempted to sell my 1st gen for $1500 a few months ago and gave up.

13. SilverOath macrumors member

Here's a quick 30 second search:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/4105817072.html - 2.6/8/512 rMBP - 1000 - posted today
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/sys/4094920306.html - 2.3/8/256 rMBP - 1400 - posted 1 week
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/4075606341.html - 2.3/16/256 rMBP -1200 - been posted 3 weeks
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/4104034537.html - 2.3/8/256 rMBP - 1250

14. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Selling on CL is probably one of the worst ways to get what your machine is actually worth. The OP's price is definitely fair considering the Mac he has for sale.

It is true though, with the new MacBook's being released anytime now, that the prices of the "old" model rMBP will drop and you will see it taking longer to sell (possibly).

Also, you have to take into consideration, most people shopping for a laptop on CL aren't trying to spend $1,600+ cash (for example), as CL is not the most reliable site and it is "Buyer Beware". At least through eBay, you are covered by them for the product you purchase.

Anyhow, good luck selling your Mac!

- Kyle

----------

I can second this, I live in SF and MacBook's are all over CL for ridiculously cheap prices.

----------

Or here is proof that SilverOath knows what he is talking about. I was about to do the same thing to prove to same point :p

15. tonie macrumors 6502

Only the first one has a phone number and it looks like the second one is the only legit one. I see bunch of rMBPs on craigslist but when you try to text or email them they never respond back. Wonder why? Try to post random posts to inflate the prices. Yes, people do that. Just because it's posted on craigslist that doesn't make them legit.

To the OP, you shouldn't definitely avoid this forum if you want to get the best price out of it. Post it on Ebay ASAP if you want to sell it. I'm going to post mine soon when I have time.

16. Y So Jelly macrumors regular

LOL. Prospective buyers should post rMBPs for $500 to counteract this movement. Soon 90% of CL will be empty market-strategic listings.

17. MeUnix macrumors 6502

Weird. You're inferring that these aren't legit without knowing without a doubt if they are or not.

Plus, way to take a subject and spin it off how you want it to try and make a point. I believe the person posted those listings because another member said he/she was lying about seeing rMBP for those prices. The point was never if they are legit postings, as many CL ads aren't in the first place, but I thought that was common sense.

----------

I spend months posting fake ads on CL in order to get a Mac for a good price. :rolleyes:

18. hachiman macrumors regular

Why buy such an item just to upgrade only a few months later? What's wrong with the one you have now?

19. SilverOath macrumors member

I'd be extremely wary of eBay. Just search "scams selling laptop ebay".

Not to beat a dead horse -- but selling a high value on eBay right now is one of the riskiest things you can do selling a laptop. There are several variants of scams that go through eBay now -- but they all are similar in that they create or use compromised accounts to win auctions on high value / extremely portable items like MacBooks. Since they have no intention of paying, or are using fraudulent funds they bid to win.

At this point it splits into a few potential options, one they try to trick the seller into thinking they paid by requesting your e-mail and sending fake "payment received, OK TO SHIP" messages, or they pay using a fraudulent credit card. If you're savvy you should be able to catch these scams and not lose money -- but given that you spend a week running you're auction, then another week dealing with PayPal to cancel your auction and release you from any liability -- you're going to lose time. I tried to selling a MBA on eBay a year and a half ago -- I had three auctions come to this conclusion. I gave up.

Another way it can play out is that you do sell it, get paid, ship it. Then next week, or thirty days later, the buyer is unsatisfied and files claim with eBay as "item not as described". There is no counter to this -- it force you to accept a return (and you're out shipping). Best case scenario -- you get your laptop back worse minor wear, worst case scenario -- you get an empty box, heck maybe you even get their old laptop that was broken and they just wanted to run a swap-a-roo on you. Regardless, you have absolutely no recourse. It's he-said-she-said and eBay will invariably side with the buyer.

I'd suggest searching this subject before you decide to sell your laptop on eBay. I'm sure people will come chime in and say "I sold it no problem" and you may very well sell it no problem, but there is a high chance you could lose everything. Is it worth the risk to you? I know it isn't to me. At least on CL - you get cash and sale is final. CL has it's risk, but you can be cautious an reduce most of those risks, where as on eBay you have very little control.

This is only my two cents on the subject -- so take it as you will.

20. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Only sell to trusted buyers.

What's the problem?

21. StockDC2 macrumors regular

For those debating on whether to use Craigslist or eBay, I would HIGHLY suggest Craigslist. Not only are eBay and PayPal fees ludicrous ($230 in just fees for an $1800 sale), you also have to worry about chargebacks and things getting damaged during shipping. Not to mention, shipping + insurance can get pretty expensive. That $1800 sale now nets you ~$1540 with the risk of getting a chargeback and losing not only the money, but also your computer.

22. SilverOath macrumors member

Because you can't know if they're trusted or not, you have no control over who bids and/or wins your auction?

What it it's a hacked account? What if it's a stolen credit card? You're not going to know until after you shipped the laptop... what happens if they just decide after 30 days they don't like it, spent too much, and file dispute?

You don't know who is on the other end. There is no such thing as negative feedback for buyers anymore... Many stores that sell cheap items have auto-positive feedback after payment is received... so eBay rating can be inflated if you're just looking for someone with a 0 (to indicate new account).

23. chris y. macrumors regular

I sold my rMBP 2.6/16/512 for $1800 about a month ago on Craigslist. Took about two weeks before I found a buyer.

24. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

"Buy it now" Only.

If it's not a respected buyer, just don't sell it to that person.

Hacked account, stolen credit cards... you're just reaching now. 30 day dispute? Again, sell to only trusted buyers. If you're careful, do your research, and have a little common sense, you should be fine selling on eBay.

You don't want to short change yourself to the tune of $500 loss by selling on CL.

25. SilverOath macrumors member

My point is you can't tell if they're a "respected buyer." It's Russian roulette, you could get by unscathed several tries a in a row, but there is a considerably high chance of losing everything and the expected value of return is far lower than CL when you account for that.

I've done my research -- I've tried to sell on eBay -- I had three auctions won by scammers, It took me a month and a half to deal with that, and I just resorted to eBay -- most of those extra profits are eaten by eBay and PayPal fees. So it's not really a better deal. I use eBay frequently, but I my experience with high value / highly portable items on it is poor. I've researched it and it's not uncommon.

If you even do a small amount of research you will become aware that more and more sellers are finding eBay unpalatable (that is average person sellers, stores have loss built into their profit structures, the average person doesn't.). You cannot refuse a return, even if explicitly outlined in the original posting... all the buyer has to do is say SNAD (significantly not as described) -- and the trend is that is becoming increasingly common. When they claim SNAD you are forced to accept the return, eBay isn't going to confirm the buyers claim and send someone to check, they're just going to return their funds and you're at the buyers mercy for them to return it in original condition. Yes the proportion of people sending back empty boxes, bricks, their broken laptops is not the common occurrence, but if it's say 5% do you want to take a 1 and 20 percent chance of losing 1200+ dollars, all so you can make another 100 dollars over CL?

BIN does little. It gets rid of the people not using fraudulent credit cards, but if they have a credit card, or let's just say its someone who just felt they over bid and got buyers remorse, you're SOL still.