Rescued B&W G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by spf2, May 12, 2016.

1. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

I just picked up two B&W G3s that were in bad condition. They were covered in dust and grime. Not only that, the plastic was cracked and missing pieces. I just could not walk away and let the neglect continue. Who knows what will happen with them if I don't rescue them. I have always wanted a B&W since I first saw it at the computer lab at the university. After spending 30 minutes vacuuming and wiping, they are now more presentable. There is still plenty of cleaning to do though. I did check that they chime so hopefully they will work. Sure, they are not display quality but maybe down the road I will be able to fix them up. The pictures don't really show how filthy they were.

Attached Files:

2. MikeatOSX macrumors regular

MikeatOSX

Beautiful!
    I kept my own b/w since I bought it and did an upgrade last year: better video card + G4 800MHz processor card. :)

3. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Happy to see someone interested like yourself saved them from a possible trip to the recycling centre!

Now to see how far you can push them ;)

4. spf2 thread starter macrumors regular

spf2

That is definitely the plan. First off upgrade the HD, Memory, video card, and USB 2.0. Find new bezels and plastic if possible.

5. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

http://www.welovemacs.com/ they have parts for older Macs, however I must admit they are not cheap, might be worth it to try eBay.

6. spf2, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016

spf2 thread starter macrumors regular

spf2

You were not kidding. I checked out the G3 Blue & White CD/ZIP Bezel. They want $49.49 for it alone.

7. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

Yup must admit they are a little out of my preferred price range. But if you really can't find a part, anywhere else, then they do offer them

8. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

That wins the award for Most Politically Correct Way of Saying Something This Week™

Seriously though, the pricing at We Love Macs is beyond insanity. Ever wanted to pay almost $2000 for a Mac Pro 1,1 in 2016? Now you can!

9. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Ya but that includes an "Apple keyboard and Mighty mouse".:D

10. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Don't worry. I try to save every Mac I can, or at least the internal components. I convinced them to part out a quad, just because I figured more people could use the parts. I have seen about three QS/MDDs and 1 B&W get scrapped, unfortunately.

11. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Hope it wasn't a fully working Quad? :eek: That'd be blasphemy by my count!

12. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

13. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Oh glad to hear! I called off the hit man.

14. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Phew! If I remember, most of the parts were bought. Someone(s) quad got a nice overhaul. Even had the Airport runway card.

15. donzubeck, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016

donzubeck macrumors newbie

http://www.dvwarehouse.com/index.html
    DVWarehous is a good place to find old macs, pieces and parts.
    Their prices have been going down lately too.
    I purchased a few G5 logic boards and a power supply.

16. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

This is where I purchased my two G5's, the first a dual 1.88 which really peaked my interest and finally my favorite, the G5 Quad.

17. MikeatOSX macrumors regular

MikeatOSX

I only found extremely expensive parts. So it can be much cheaper to buy whole Macs.
    Some parts are wrong too:
    i.e. RAM for PowerBook G3 Kanga

18. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

Here's what I did to mine years ago upgraded to a G4 also a Radeon 7000 64 meg pc card flashed in a pc does wonders

19. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

RAM upgrade board ;). I've wondered, if you could install more onto a board, just by putting more chips on. May be ignorant, but just thinking out loud. A hot air rework station would make quick work of that, a 128MB PC 1XX dim is easily available.

20. Reflex88 macrumors newbie

I've loved the B&W ever since the day I walked by John Lewis (posh department store) and they had a B&W in a clean white window display. I later got the chance at one that even had the original 15" B&W LCD screen included. yes, I've got one of THOSE.. can't believe how lucky I got... Keep these guys going, I think they'll be worth more in the future as they're a major turning point for the PowerMac line.. Hell, look how long the case design lived for. I bought a second one for parts and I'm glad I did as picking it up one day both top handles snapped clean off.. the white plastics, it's seems, are not aging well... se be carful, yours are already cracking too!

21. spf2 thread starter macrumors regular

spf2

It's always nice to have a backup donor machine for parts. I am glad to have an extra but both of mine would probably considered donor machines because of their condition. Either way, i take great care when moving them around. I never grab them by the handles just because they are cracked around the plastic. At this time, I think buying a whole is much better than buying parts seperately. Thanks for the website links. I am sure I will bump into another one. I just need to remember to be patient and resist temptation.