Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
I just picked up two B&W G3s that were in bad condition. They were covered in dust and grime. Not only that, the plastic was cracked and missing pieces. I just could not walk away and let the neglect continue. Who knows what will happen with them if I don't rescue them. I have always wanted a B&W since I first saw it at the computer lab at the university. After spending 30 minutes vacuuming and wiping, they are now more presentable. There is still plenty of cleaning to do though. I did check that they chime so hopefully they will work. Sure, they are not display quality but maybe down the road I will be able to fix them up. The pictures don't really show how filthy they were.

Attachments

• IMG_5283.JPG
    IMG_5283.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5284.JPG
    IMG_5284.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 154

MikeatOSX

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2007
Austria
Beautiful!
I kept my own b/w since I bought it and did an upgrade last year: better video card + G4 800MHz processor card. :)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Happy to see someone interested like yourself saved them from a possible trip to the recycling centre!

Now to see how far you can push them ;)

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
Happy to see someone interested like yourself saved them from a possible trip to the recycling centre!

That is definitely the plan. First off upgrade the HD, Memory, video card, and USB 2.0. Find new bezels and plastic if possible.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013

Don't worry. I try to save every Mac I can, or at least the internal components. I convinced them to part out a quad, just because I figured more people could use the parts. I have seen about three QS/MDDs and 1 B&W get scrapped, unfortunately.

Reactions: MysticCow

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Don't worry. I try to save every Mac I can, or at least the internal components. I convinced them to part out a quad, just because I figured more people could use the parts. I have seen about three QS/MDDs and 1 B&W get scrapped, unfortunately.

Hope it wasn't a fully working Quad? :eek: That'd be blasphemy by my count!

Reactions: LightBulbFun

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Here's what I did to mine years ago upgraded to a G4 also a Radeon 7000 64 meg pc card flashed in a pc does wonders

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I only found extremely expensive parts. So it can be much cheaper to buy whole Macs.
Some parts are wrong too:
i.e. RAM for PowerBook G3 Kanga
RAM upgrade board ;). I've wondered, if you could install more onto a board, just by putting more chips on. May be ignorant, but just thinking out loud. A hot air rework station would make quick work of that, a 128MB PC 1XX dim is easily available.

Reflex88

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2004
I've loved the B&W ever since the day I walked by John Lewis (posh department store) and they had a B&W in a clean white window display. I later got the chance at one that even had the original 15" B&W LCD screen included. yes, I've got one of THOSE.. can't believe how lucky I got... Keep these guys going, I think they'll be worth more in the future as they're a major turning point for the PowerMac line.. Hell, look how long the case design lived for. I bought a second one for parts and I'm glad I did as picking it up one day both top handles snapped clean off.. the white plastics, it's seems, are not aging well... se be carful, yours are already cracking too!

Reactions: MikeatOSX

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
I've loved the B&W ever since the day I walked by John Lewis (posh department store) and they had a B&W in a clean white window display. I later got the chance at one that even had the original 15" B&W LCD screen included. yes, I've got one of THOSE.. can't believe how lucky I got... Keep these guys going, I think they'll be worth more in the future as they're a major turning point for the PowerMac line.. Hell, look how long the case design lived for. I bought a second one for parts and I'm glad I did as picking it up one day both top handles snapped clean off.. the white plastics, it's seems, are not aging well... se be carful, yours are already cracking too!

It's always nice to have a backup donor machine for parts. I am glad to have an extra but both of mine would probably considered donor machines because of their condition. Either way, i take great care when moving them around. I never grab them by the handles just because they are cracked around the plastic. At this time, I think buying a whole is much better than buying parts seperately. Thanks for the website links. I am sure I will bump into another one. I just need to remember to be patient and resist temptation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.